1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the tangent line at pi/3 for the following equation

1. Jan 10, 2014 #1
    Hello All,

I have been trying to brush up on some calculus (differential, I haven't learned integral yet) on my own by finding whatever calculus problems I can find. Recently I found this question listed as a CLEP practice question, and have been having some difficulty with it. Here is the question:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "What is the slope of the line tangent to the graph of the function [itex]f(x)=\ln (\sin^2 x+3)[/itex] at the point where [itex]x=\frac{\pi}{3}[/itex]?"

The correct answer is given as [itex]\frac{2\sqrt{3}}{15}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

The relevant equation is given above.

3. The attempt at a solution

No matter how many times I calculate it out, I keep getting [itex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{45\sqrt{3}}{8\pi}[/itex]. Here is the work I have done. The error could be anywhere; in the algebra, trig, or calc methodology (math has never been my strongest subject.)

[tex]f(x)=\ln ((\sin x)^2+3)[/tex]
    [tex]f'(x)=\frac{1}{x} ((\sin x)^2+3)\cdot 2\sin x\cdot \cos x[/tex]
    [tex]f'(x)=\frac{((\sin x)^2+3)}{x} \cdot 2\sin x\cdot \cos x[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{((\sin \frac{\pi}{3})^2+3)}{\frac{\pi}{3}} \cdot 2\sin \frac{\pi}{3}\cdot \cos \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{((\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2})^2+3)}{\frac{\pi}{3}} \cdot 2\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\cdot \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=(\frac{3}{4}+3) \cdot \frac{3}{\pi} \cdot \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=(\frac{3}{4}+\frac{12}{4}) \cdot \frac{3}{\pi} \cdot \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{15}{4} \cdot \frac{3}{\pi} \cdot \frac{2\sqrt{3}}{4}[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{15}{4} \cdot \frac{3}{\pi} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{45}{4\pi} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3})=\frac{45\sqrt{3}}{8\pi}[/tex]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2014 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Check how you're calculating that step; perhaps you would do better to use a u sub here.

u = (sin(x))^2 + 3)

4. Jan 10, 2014 #3
    Aha! Thank you. So from there, I get:

[tex]f'(x) = \frac {1}{\sin^2x+3} \cdot 2 \sin x \cdot \cos x[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {2 \cdot \frac {\sqrt3} {2} \cdot \frac {1}{2}}{\frac{3}{4}+\frac{3}{1}}[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {\frac {\sqrt3} {2}}{\frac{3}{4}+\frac{12}{4}}[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {\frac {\sqrt3} {2}}{\frac{15}{4}}[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {\sqrt3} {2} \cdot \frac{4}{15}[/tex]
    [tex]f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {2\sqrt3}{15}[/tex]

5. Jan 10, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can save yourself some writing by not starting each equation with f'(∏/3). As you simplify each expression, just connect the new expression with =.
    $$f'(\frac{\pi}{3}) = \frac {2 \cdot \frac {\sqrt3} {2} \cdot \frac {1}{2}}{\frac{3}{4}+\frac{3}{1}} = \frac {\frac {\sqrt3} {2}}{\frac{3}{4}+\frac{12}{4}}$$
    $$ = \frac {\frac {\sqrt3} {2}}{\frac{15}{4}}$$
    and so on.

6. Jan 17, 2014 #5
    Ok, I'll remember that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted