Finding the Tangent of a point on a curve (problem driving me crazy )

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
clickcaptain
Messages
31
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I've done this problem about 5 times, several different ways following many different examples but I can't seem to find the right answer or even figure out how they got one of the answers (y answer is given)

untitleddf.jpg



The Attempt at a Solution



r(t) = (1+4*sqrt(t), t5-t, t5+t)

s(t) = P0 + tv (P and v are vectors)
s(t) = r(0) + tr1(0)

r1(t) = (2/sqrt(t), 5t4-1, 5t4+1)
r1(0) = ?
and this is where i get stuck because trying to substitute 0 in x equation will give you an undefined number...so I'm doing something wrong obviously...please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find t such that (x,y,z)=(5,0,2). That's t=1, right? Why do you say t=0?