Equation of Tangent Line to Curve at Point

In summary, the parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve with given parametric equations at the specified point are incorrect due to incorrect substitution of the parameter. The correct equations are < t, 1 - 4t, 5t >, with the direction vector being < 1, -4, 5 > at t = 0.
AmagicalFishy

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve with the given parametric equations at the specified point.

Homework Equations

[tex]x = t \\
y = e^{-4t} \\
z = 5t - t^5 \\
P = (0, 1, 0)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \vec{r}(t) = < t, e^{-4t}, 5t - t^5 > [/tex]
At the point (0, 1, 0), t = 0.

[tex] \vec{r '}(t) = < 1, -4e^{-4t}, 5 - 5t^4 > [/tex]

[tex] x' = 1 \\
y ' = -4e^{-4t} \\
z ' = 5 - 5t^4[/tex]
These are the x, y, and z equations for the rate of change of the curve in the x, y, and z directions respectively (or, the slopes/direction of the tangent lines at the point when t = some number).

At t = 0, the x, y, and z slopes of the tangent lines are:
[tex] x' = 1 \\
y' = -4e^{-4} \\
z' = 4[/tex]

A point on the single tangent line of the curve (found by adding the vectors x', y', and z') is (0, 1, 0)—since the curve touches that point, too. The direction vector of the single tangent line is < 1, -4(e-4), 4 >. The parameter is t.

So the vector equation of the tangent line of the curve at the point (0, 1, 0) is:
[tex] (x(t), y(t), z(t)) = (0, 1, 0) + t<1, \frac{-4}{E^{4}}, 4> = < t, 1 -\frac{4t}{E^{4}}, 4t >[/tex]

This, according to Webassign, is incorrect.

Their answer the same, except their y-component is 1 -4t. They... dropped the exponential in the denominator? I can't figure out why that is the correct answer, and why my answer is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
AmagicalFishy said:

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations for the tangent line to the curve with the given parametric equations at the specified point.

Homework Equations

[tex]x = t \\
y = e^{-4t} \\
z = 5t - t^5 \\
P = (0, 1, 0)[/tex]

[tex] x' = 1 \\
y ' = -4e^{-4t} \\
z ' = 5 - 5t^4[/tex]
These are the x, y, and z equations for the rate of change of the curve in the x, y, and z directions respectively (or, the slopes/direction of the tangent lines at the point when t = some number).

[tex] x' = 1 \\
y' = -4e^{-4} \\
z' = 4[/tex]

A point on the single tangent line of the curve (found by adding the vectors x', y', and z') is (0, 1, 0)—since the curve touches that point, too. The direction vector of the single tangent line is < 1, -4(e-4), 4 >. The parameter is t.

So the vector equation of the tangent line of the curve at the point (0, 1, 0) is:
[tex] (x(t), y(t), z(t)) = (0, 1, 0) + t<1, \frac{-4}{E^{4}}, 4> = < t, 1 -\frac{4t}{E^{4}}, 4t >[/tex]

Their answer the same, except their y-component is 1 -4t. They... dropped the exponential in the denominator? I can't figure out why that is the correct answer, and why my answer is incorrect.

If I put t=0 into -4e^(-4t) I get -4*e^0=(-4).

AmagicalFishy said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[tex]x = t \\
y = e^{-4t} \\
z = 5t - t^5 \\
P = (0, 1, 0)[/tex]

Right. So ##\vec r'(0) = \langle 1, -4, 5\rangle##. That gives you the direction vector of that tangent line for ##t=0##.

[tex] x' = 1 \\
y ' = -4e^{-4t} \\
z ' = 5 - 5t^4[/tex]

[tex] x' = 1 \\
y' = -4e^{-4} \\
z' = 4[/tex]

After you correct it, you still won't agree because their last component is wrong; it should be ##5t##.

[Edit] Actually, it's your last component that is also wrong.

Oh.

I was plugging in the components of the vector, not the parameter (so plugging 1 into the y-equation). I don't know why. Thinking and typing one thing, doing a completely different thing, and was totally unaware of it.

-______________________-

Thanks, guys.

1. What is the equation of the tangent line to a curve at a given point?

The equation of the tangent line to a curve at a given point is a linear equation that represents the slope of the curve at that point. It can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you find the equation of the tangent line to a curve?

To find the equation of the tangent line to a curve at a given point, you can use the derivative of the curve at that point. The derivative represents the slope of the curve at any given point. Plug in the x-coordinate of the point into the derivative to find the slope, and then use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

3. Can the equation of the tangent line change for different points on the curve?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line can change for different points on the curve. This is because the slope of the curve changes at different points, and the equation of the tangent line is dependent on the slope at that point.

4. What information does the equation of the tangent line provide?

The equation of the tangent line provides information about the slope of the curve at a given point. It can also be used to approximate the value of the curve at that point, as the tangent line will closely follow the curve at that point.

5. How is the equation of the tangent line used in calculus?

The equation of the tangent line is an important concept in calculus as it allows us to find the rate of change or slope of a function at a specific point. It is also used to find the critical points of a function, which are points where the slope is equal to zero.