1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Archived Finding the thermal energy and Q for an isobaric process.

1. Nov 23, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How much work is done on the gas in the process shown in figure P12.24. This is from College Physics: A strategic approach, 2nd addition, by Knight, et al. Ch.12, #24

The graph shown is kPa vs V(cm^3). It's a constant temperature process (isobaric) at 200 kpa. I was able to answer the question posed in the textbook. My answer was .0004 J for the amount of work. I am not sure if the work should be negative or not. Also, I do not have access to the correct answer so I do not know if this value is correct either.

My professor also asked up to calculate the ΔEth or change in internal thermal energy and the Q value for this process. I do understand how these can be calculated if I was given no information about the initial or final temperatures or the number of moles. I can't calculate the number of moles with out a temperature and I can't calculate Q without the number of moles. The problem states "a gas" but if I knew what gas I could just use the molar mass to find moles but they don't specify what gas it is.

2. Relevant equations

1. Wgas=pΔV

2. ΔEth=Q - Wgas

3. n=pv/rt

4. Q=nCpΔt

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to use equation 2 and I would just solve for Q. But, I can't figure out Q if I can't calculate the delta Eth first. I can't calculate the Eth because I do no know the number of moles. Then I tried to use equation 3 to find the number of moles (n) but I do not know what t(t for temperature in kelvin) is.

So n=0.2pa*0.0001m^3/ (8.31J/mol.k * t) but I don't know t, and I don't see how I can find it without moles.

Then Q=n*20.8*t (I do not know the values for n(moles) or t(temperature).

Or if I were to solve for Q in equation 2 : 3/2*8.31 J/mol.k*t=Q-(-0.0004J) >>> But again, I do not know t(the temperature in kelvin) nor I understand how I am supposed to find that value.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2016 #2
    The OP, in his problem statement, says that the temperature is constant. This means that, for a (presumed) ideal gas, the change in internal energy is zero. Therefore, the heat is equal to the work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted