1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the time constant of an inductor

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    Find the time constant τ for the first order response of the circuit below at t > 0 s.
    L = 6 H
    R1 = 8 Ω : R2 = 6 Ω
    Give your answer to at least two decimal places, in s.

I am really struggling on where even to begin with this question.

I know that for a simplified circuit t = L/R

And that you are meant to analyse the circuit just before and after the switch is closed or something along those lines, but I cant seem to apply it.

Any help to allow me to understand this type of question better would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2012 #2
    Yes, you break the problem up into two parts. First, start with the switch closed (when t<0). Remember, an inductor supplied by a direct current acts just like a wire. Start by finding the current through the various circuit elements at that time.

4. Oct 7, 2012 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The question just wants you to find the time constant for the circuit for t > 0. So draw the circuit that remains when the switch is open. Trim off any components where current cannot flow. What's the time constant for what remains?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook