Finding Time Constant T Without L for an LR Circuit

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving for the time constant T in a simple RL circuit. The value of L is not given, so the individual is attempting to solve for T using different methods such as rearranging equations and using generic graphs. However, there seems to be some confusion and uncertainty about the correct equation and value for T. The ultimate goal is to find the correct T to solve for L.
boysenbeary
Homework Statement
Obtain the time constant of the circuit.

- Fill-in the third column of the table with appropriate calculated values which result in a graph vs.
time that we expect to be a straight line.

- Make a plot of your computed third column numbers vs. time, and insert a best-fit line.

- Use the best-fit line to extract the time constant of the circuit.
Relevant Equations
$$I = {I_0} {e^{\frac{-t}{T}}}$$

$$T = \frac {L}{R}$$

$$V = R*I$$

$$R = 295.3 \Omega$$

$$I_0 = 0.01765 A$$
1613756751036.png
1613756775424.png
1613756818283.png

Edit: Picture of the Circuit (Simple RL circuit)

1613758066495.png

The value of L is not given.

Attempt to Solve for T by Rearranging Equation 1:

I rearranged the equation to solve for T, using Ohm's Law so solve for I = V/R at each time.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/qlb2n6w4bg

This graph is non-linear, but the problem says to expect a linear graph?

Attempt to Use A Generic Ln(V) Graph:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/ojvfgihyeq

This graph is linear but how do I know this is the right equation?

The point of this problem is to find the time constant T, then use that to solve for L

Would appreciate any guidance, thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I=V/R ;I=Io*e^(-t/T); ln(I)=ln(Io)-t/T
-t/T=ln(I)-ln(Io)
T=t/((ln(Io)-ln(I))
However, the "constant" T is not so constant. See the attached no.1
That means something is wrong.
If we shall change the time t [let's to add a 0.2 msec in all position] then the error will be 1% from average. See attached no.2

Attachments

• Constant T as gived.jpg
    Constant T as gived.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 103
  • ConstantT improved.jpg
    ConstantT improved.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 104

1. What is an LR circuit?

An LR circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) connected in series. It is commonly used in electronics to control the flow of current.

2. How is the time constant (T) related to an LR circuit?

The time constant (T) is a measure of how quickly an LR circuit reaches its steady-state. It is equal to the product of the resistance (R) and the inductance (L) in the circuit.

3. Why is it important to find the time constant (T) without knowing the inductance (L) in an LR circuit?

In some cases, the inductance (L) in an LR circuit may be unknown or difficult to measure. In these situations, finding the time constant (T) can still provide useful information about the circuit's behavior and characteristics.

4. How can the time constant (T) be calculated without knowing the inductance (L) in an LR circuit?

The time constant (T) can be calculated by measuring the resistance (R) in the circuit and using the formula T = R x L. This formula assumes that the inductance (L) is unknown or not easily measurable.

5. What are some practical applications of finding the time constant (T) without knowing the inductance (L) in an LR circuit?

Knowing the time constant (T) can help engineers and scientists design and analyze LR circuits in various applications, such as in power supplies, motors, and electronic filters. It can also aid in troubleshooting and diagnosing issues with these circuits.