Finding the units of the ring Z[sqrt(-3)]

  • Thread starter Thread starter Andrusko
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ring Units
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 10K views
Andrusko
Messages
42
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In the ring [tex]Z[\sqrt{-3}][/tex] find all units and prove that 2 is irreducible but 7 is not.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Well a unit is a non-zero element of the ring that when multiplied by some other non-zero element of the ring gives the unity of the ring.

ie; [tex]ab = 1\;a,b \in Z[\sqrt{-3}][/tex]

in otherwords b is the multiplicative inverse of a.

a is of the form [tex]a = x + y\sqrt{3} i[/tex] which just has the inverse of [tex]\frac{x - y\sqrt{3}i}{x^{2} + 3y^{2}}[/tex] (ie; b has this form)

So everything with the form of b with integer coefficients is a unit and 0 is not a unit.

I really don't understand what this question is asking, because I know what I've written down is completely stupid.

How would one go about finding the units of this ring?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Andrusko said:

Homework Statement



In the ring [tex]Z[\sqrt{-3}][/tex] find all units and prove that 2 is irreducible but 7 is not.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



Well a unit is a non-zero element of the ring that when multiplied by some other non-zero element of the ring gives the unity of the ring.

ie; [tex]ab = 1\;a,b \in Z[\sqrt{-3}][/tex]

in otherwords b is the multiplicative inverse of a.

a is of the form [tex]a = x + y\sqrt{3} i[/tex] which just has the inverse of [tex]\frac{x - y\sqrt{3}i}{x^{2} + 3y^{2}}[/tex] (ie; b has this form)

So everything with the form of b with integer coefficients is a unit and 0 is not a unit.
Which means that [itex]x^2+ 3y^2[/itex] is a factor of both x and y. For what x and y is that true?

Another way to do this is to look at [itex](x+ y\sqrt{3})(a+ b\sqrt{3})[/itex][itex]= (ax+ 3by)+ (ay+bx)\sqrt{3}= 1[/itex]. What must x, y, a, and b be?

I really don't understand what this question is asking, because I know what I've written down is completely stupid.

How would one go about finding the units of this ring?