1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the unknown forces at two supporting pins

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a simple truss where P = 8 kip, find the unknown forces D_x, D_y, C_x, and C_y then determine the average normal stress in each member.

Description of truss:

I cannot copy an image due to the source it is coming from, so here is my attempt at a description

A triangle with arms AB (going up and to the right (5 feet)), BD (going down and to the right(5 feet)), and DA (going to the left connecting back with A (8 feet)). Member BE cutting straight down the middle of the triangle (3 feet). Member BC parallel with member ED and equal length of 4 feet. Pins at C and D. The force P is applied downward at point A and the force 0.75P is applied downward at point E.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that in a 2D problem you can only have three unknowns to find the forces. I am able to find C_x and D_x to be 29.3 kip (D_x in the negative x direction), but cannot remember how to find the y values.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2011 #2
    I am having difficulty downloading the attachament.

4. Nov 23, 2011 #3
    I went ahead and made a rough sketch on paint

5. Nov 23, 2011 #4

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ptguard1: The force in truss members is always axial. Therefore, you know C_y = 0.

6. Nov 26, 2011 #5
    What do you mean by an axial force?

7. Nov 26, 2011 #6

nvn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ptguard1: The direction of the resultant (i.e., total) force in each truss member is always along the longitudinal centerline of each truss member. A force along the longitudinal centerline of a member is called an axial force.

8. Nov 27, 2011 #7
    I just discovered that I actually didn't need to find the forces at each pin in order to solve the overall problem, but thank you for the information.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook