Finding the vertical component of velocity

In summary, the question is asking for the vertical component of velocity of a cannonball fired over a wall at a height of 15m and a distance of 40m. The given equations and information suggest that the initial vertical velocity can be calculated using the formula Vy=Uy+aT, where Uy is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and T is the time it takes for the ball to reach the highest point. After plugging in the given values, the initial velocity is calculated to be 17.2 ms^-1. The second equation, v^2=u^2+2aSy, gives the same result, confirming the accuracy of the initial calculation.
shyguy79
Hi all I hope you can help I'm really racking my brains about this!

The question simply states that a cannonball is fired over a wall 40m away and passes directly over the wall at a height of 15m. Find the vertical component of velocity?

I've been searching the net and apparently when V sub y =0 but I really don't understand this? Any help would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't know where to start, its usually a good idea to write out what you know and the equations that relate to the problem.

For projectiles problems, separate the givens into two columns, the x component and the y component. This helps you keep them organized and separate, since only time is a common element of the two.

Looking at the equations I've got to play with...

T=sqrt(2*Sy/a) where Sy is the vertical displacement and a=acceleration 9.81ms^-2 so putting my figures in

T for the ball to reach the highest point would be: sqrt(2*15/9.81) = 1.75sec

Using T= 1.75 and rearranging the equation.. Vy=Uy+aT into Uy=Vy-aT where Uy is the initial velocity, Vy is the velocity at the top, a is the acceleration due to gravity.

Uy=0+9.81*1.75 = 17.2 ms^-1 (1 dp)

Incidentally if I use v^2=u^2+2aSy and rearrange for u=sqrt(v^2-2aSy) = 17.2 so both answers are the same does this mean I'm on the right track?

But I'm not sure if this is correct...

Last edited:
No help here then... Thanks anyways

1. What is the vertical component of velocity?

The vertical component of velocity is the measure of an object's speed in the vertical direction, or the direction that is perpendicular to the ground. It is one of the two components of velocity, with the other being the horizontal component.

2. How is the vertical component of velocity calculated?

The vertical component of velocity can be calculated using the formula Vy = V * sin(theta), where Vy is the vertical component of velocity, V is the total velocity, and theta is the angle of the object's motion with respect to the horizontal plane.

3. Why is it important to find the vertical component of velocity?

It is important to find the vertical component of velocity because it helps us understand the motion of an object in two dimensions. It also allows us to analyze the effects of gravity on the object's trajectory and predict its future position.

4. What factors affect the vertical component of velocity?

The vertical component of velocity is affected by the initial velocity of the object, the angle of its motion, and the acceleration due to gravity. Air resistance and other external forces can also affect the vertical component of velocity.

5. How does the vertical component of velocity relate to other concepts in physics?

The vertical component of velocity is closely related to other concepts in physics such as acceleration, gravity, and projectile motion. It is also a fundamental component in the study of kinematics and dynamics, which are branches of classical mechanics.