1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the vertical component of velocity

1. Oct 9, 2011 #1
    Hi all I hope you can help I'm really racking my brains about this!

The question simply states that a cannonball is fired over a wall 40m away and passes directly over the wall at a height of 15m. Find the vertical component of velocity?

I've been searching the net and apparently when V sub y =0 but I really don't understand this? Any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2011 #2
    If you don't know where to start, its usually a good idea to write out what you know and the equations that relate to the problem.

For projectiles problems, separate the givens into two columns, the x component and the y component. This helps you keep them organized and separate, since only time is a common element of the two.

4. Oct 9, 2011 #3
    Looking at the equations I've got to play with...

T=sqrt(2*Sy/a) where Sy is the vertical displacement and a=acceleration 9.81ms^-2 so putting my figures in

T for the ball to reach the highest point would be: sqrt(2*15/9.81) = 1.75sec

5. Oct 9, 2011 #4
    Using T= 1.75 and rearranging the equation.. Vy=Uy+aT into Uy=Vy-aT where Uy is the initial velocity, Vy is the velocity at the top, a is the acceleration due to gravity.

Uy=0+9.81*1.75 = 17.2 ms^-1 (1 dp)

Incidentally if I use v^2=u^2+2aSy and rearrange for u=sqrt(v^2-2aSy) = 17.2 so both answers are the same does this mean I'm on the right track????

But I'm not sure if this is correct...

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  6. Oct 10, 2011 #5
    No help here then... Thanks anyways

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook