1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the voltage in this AC circuit

1. Apr 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2i11r14.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    KVL at that loop

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can easily solve all the individual current and voltages in this circuit using Mesh analysis and Gaussian Elimination. But how do I get Vx? I can simply add the voltages of the two 10uF capacitors if they are in series. But they are not in series. I thought maybe if I write a KVL equation on that loop, I can solve for Vx but that equation means simply adding the voltages. I'm confused.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The two capacitors you have in mind may not be in series in the sense of the topological definition for series components, but their potentials are certainly in series in the KVL sense. So you can simply sum them as you suggest.

4. Apr 2, 2015 #3

donpacino

Gold Member

Vs is the voltage differential between that node on the far right and the node below the voltage source.If you can find the individual voltages at each node, you can simply subtract the node voltages. Alternatively, find the voltage drop across the two 10 uF caps at the bottom of the schematic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted