Finding the x and y intercepts

• Thread starter vane92
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the y-intercept and x-intercept of the function f(x)=sin(x)/(1+cos(x)). It is noted that to find the y-intercept, x=0 must be substituted and for the x-intercept, y=0 must be substituted. However, there are some errors in the solution as the x and y-axis are confused, there cannot be two points with the same x-value on a function, and the second requirement for finding the x-intercept is not fulfilled. This post should be moved to the Homework & Coursework Questions section.
vane92
f(x)=sin(x)/(1+cos(x))
So I set it equal to zero to find the y-intercept
sin(x)=0(1+cos(x))
x= 0,∏ so the y-int: (0,0) and (0,∏)

To find the x intercept I would substitute 0 for x so,
sin(0)/(1+cos(0))=y
0/1+1=y
y=0 so the x-int: (0,0)

would that be right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, there are a few mistakes. Firstly, you are confusing the x and y-axis a bit. To find the y-intercept you would set x=0 (the y-axis has equation x=0) and vice versa. Secondly, you listed the points (0,0) and (0,π). You can not have two points on a function with the same x-value. It violates the definition of a function. Surely you meant the points (0,0) and (π,0). Finally, you incorrectly solved the equation [tex] {\frac{\sin x }{1+cos x}}=0 [/tex]

Not only is it necessary for [itex] sin x [/itex] to be zero, but [itex] 1+ cos x [/itex] must also be nonzero. [itex] x = \pi [/itex] does not fulfill this second requirement.

Edit: This post should probably be in the Homework & Coursework Questions section.

1. What is the definition of intercepts?

Intercepts are points on a graph where the line or curve intersects with the x-axis or y-axis. These points represent the coordinates of where the line crosses each axis.

2. How do I find the x and y intercepts of a line?

To find the x-intercept, set y=0 and solve for x. To find the y-intercept, set x=0 and solve for y. The resulting values will be the coordinates of the intercepts.

3. Why are the x and y intercepts important?

The x and y intercepts provide important information about the behavior of a line or curve. They can help determine the slope, direction, and position of the line on the graph.

4. Can a line have more than one x or y intercept?

Yes, a line can have multiple x or y intercepts. This occurs when the line crosses the x or y axis at more than one point.

5. How can I graph a line using x and y intercepts?

To graph a line using intercepts, plot the x and y intercepts on the graph and then connect them using a straight line. You can also use the slope-intercept form or point-slope form to graph a line.