1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the X-intercept of a function

1. Nov 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    F(x)= x-12x1/3 Find the X-intercept

2. Relevant equations
    X-intercept means y=0

3. The attempt at a solution
    My math teacher gave plus or minus 24sqrt3 as an answer, but I have no idea how he got that! He also got 0, but I do understand that one... I just don't know how to get the 24sqrt3 Could someone help me, please?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Set ##u = x^{1/3}##, so your equation becomes ##0 = u^3 - 12 u##, or ##0 = u(u^2-12)##.

4. Nov 29, 2014 #3
    Thank You! Quick question: since you put everything to the cube, should you put -12 also to the power three, because that's how I finally got the answer! Thank you so much!!!

5. Nov 29, 2014 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

The u-substitution is all you need. However, the answer you get is for u. x = u^3. So you will cube your answer.
    There should be no reason to cube 12. That would be assuming that
    ##F(x)^3=(x-12x^{1/3})^3 = x^3 - 12^3 x## but that is not how powers of polynomials work.
    Edit:
    However, in this case, since you are assuming that F(x) = 0 (x- intercept), you will get the right solution since:
    ##0=x-12x^{1/3}##
    ##x=12x^{1/3}##
    ##x^3=12^3x##
    ##0=x^3-12^3x##
    There are many ways to get to the answer...just be sure you know why you are doing things.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  6. Nov 30, 2014 #5
    Thank you so much! This community really is awesome!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted