Finding the y axis on a probability density graph

In summary: I am not sure where to go from here.The summary is that the person was trying to figure out how to find the probability density for a wavefunction, but was not given a graph of the wavefunction, and instead tried to integrate the probability. However, this was not correct because the probability density cannot be negative.
Sorin2225
Homework Statement
I was given a probability density graph and from it I had to figure out what B was in nm^-1/2
Relevant Equations
I think it's just from the graph.
I assumed to find it I would need to find the area under the graph. I also assumed that the part under x would cancel out so I would be left with 2b*10=1 if it was, in fact, true that it had to equal to one. So my final answer was (1/10)/2 nm^-1 but the actual answer was 0.0845 nm^-1/2 and I'm unsure of how this answer was gained.

Attachments

• physics graph.png
    physics graph.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
That is not a probability density. A probability density can not be negative.

Judging by the use of the symbol ##\psi## I'm guessing this is a quantum mechanical wavefunction, so the actual probability density is ##|\psi|^2##. Your method was correct, that the total probability (total area) must be 1. So make that change and see how it works out.

The units of ##b## are another clue that you're supposed to be squaring these values to get the density, because ##b^2 \times## [length] is unitless.

To get b however I'm doing 3b*10-2b*10+2b*10=1 and rearranging for this but I'm nowhere near the right answer

Sorin2225 said:
To get b however I'm doing 3b*10-2b*10+2b*10=1

You shouldn't be. You're integrating ##\psi## with respect to ##x## and I just told you that ##\psi## is not the probability density, not the thing you should be integrating. Therefore trying to get a total probability of 1 by integrating ##\psi## is not a correct thing to do.

Again, you want to integrate the probability density. ##\psi## is not the probability density. Find the probability density and then integrate that.

I know you started from this assumption, in your original post:
Sorin2225 said:
I was given a probability density graph...

but what I'm trying to say is that you were not given a probability density graph. A probability density can not be negative. ##\psi## is by inspection not a probability density.

Yes sorry, I realized that my initial assumption about the type of graph was wrong. I am confused on how I am meant to be changing the probability into probability density. To do this I attempted
to square the probability

1. How do you find the y axis on a probability density graph?

The y axis on a probability density graph represents the probability density, which is the likelihood of a particular outcome occurring. To find the y axis, look for the label "Probability Density" or "P(x)" on the y axis. This will indicate that the values on the y axis represent probabilities.

2. What do the numbers on the y axis of a probability density graph mean?

The numbers on the y axis of a probability density graph represent the probability density at a specific point on the x axis. In other words, they show the likelihood of a particular outcome occurring at that point on the graph.

3. How do you interpret the y axis on a probability density graph?

The y axis on a probability density graph shows the relative likelihood of different outcomes occurring. The higher the value on the y axis, the more likely that outcome is to occur. It is important to note that the total area under the curve of a probability density graph is equal to 1, representing the total probability of all possible outcomes.

4. What is the scale of the y axis on a probability density graph?

The scale of the y axis on a probability density graph can vary depending on the specific graph and the data being represented. It is important to check the y axis labels and values to determine the scale being used. In some cases, the scale may be linear, while in others it may be logarithmic.

5. How can you use the y axis on a probability density graph to make predictions?

The y axis on a probability density graph can be used to make predictions by comparing the probability density values at different points on the x axis. The higher the value on the y axis, the more likely that outcome is to occur. This can help in understanding the likelihood of certain events and making informed decisions based on those probabilities.