"Finding theta in Argand Diagrams

In summary, the given problem involves finding the value of theta when E, O, and A are on the same straight line. Using the provided complex numbers, w and z3, the equation is substituted and simplified to find that the argument of E must be either 60 or -120 degrees. This is worth 4 marks in total, with points awarded for understanding the question, finding the angle for A, and ultimately finding the angle for E. The majority in class also agreed on the same approach for the speed problem.
ahoy hoy

Homework Statement

If w=costheta + i sintheta and theta is between -pi and pi: Find theta if E O and A are on the same straight line. E is a point on diagram representing w(z3).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive found the following:
z1 (1+(sqrt3)i)
z2 (-2+(2sqrt3)i)
z3 (-3+(sqrt3)i)

so.. i substituted w and z3.
(costheta + i sintheta)(-3+(sqrt3)i) is equal to (-3costheta -(sqrt3)sintheta) + ((sqrt3)costheta - 3sintheta)i

How can i work with knowing that E O and A are on the same straight line?
I should be able to find theta if i can be directed from here...

Attachments

• diagram.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
same straight line? I presume that O is the origin and A is the complex number that has an angle of 60 deg in you diagram. So complex number E must have either an argument of 60 or -120. (i hope I understood you diag + symb correctly)

ye same brain waves cos i came back to same angles as urs. its just this part of question is worth 4 marks, i figured thers more to it than that. ah well.

well 1 marks for understanding the question and working out the strategy,
1 mark for finding angle for A then
2 marks for actually finding the angle for z3 and then angle for E.
that sounds about right.

uve got it all figured out. preciate it muchly. that speed one too. which was a popular answer in class. majority rules.

Related to "Finding theta in Argand Diagrams

What is an Argand Diagram?

An Argand Diagram is a graph used in complex analysis to plot complex numbers. It has a horizontal real axis and a vertical imaginary axis, with the origin (0,0) being the point where both axes intersect.

How do you plot complex numbers on an Argand Diagram?

To plot a complex number on an Argand Diagram, you simply locate the real component on the horizontal axis and the imaginary component on the vertical axis. The resulting point on the graph represents the complex number in the form (a+bi).

What is the purpose of finding theta in Argand Diagrams?

Finding theta in Argand Diagrams is useful for understanding the polar representation of complex numbers. Theta represents the angle between the complex number and the positive real axis, and it helps in performing operations such as multiplication and division of complex numbers in polar form.

How do you find theta in an Argand Diagram?

To find theta in an Argand Diagram, you can use the inverse tangent function. Take the imaginary component over the real component of the complex number, and find the inverse tangent of that ratio. The resulting angle is theta.

Can you find theta for any point on an Argand Diagram?

Yes, theta can be found for any point on an Argand Diagram. It is a measure of the angle between the complex number and the positive real axis, and therefore, it exists for every point on the graph.