1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Total Charge from E-field

1. Jan 1, 2018 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A static charge distribution has a radial electric field of magnitude
    ##E = \alpha \frac{e^{-\lambda r}}{r} ##
    where λ and α are positive constants. Calculate the total charge of the distribution.

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss's law ##Q/\epsilon_0 = \int \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{S}##
    ##\rho/\epsilon_0 = \nabla \cdot \vec{E} ##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried two ways to go about this problem, without success. First I tried using Gauss's law, placing a Gaussian sphere of radius a on the distribution:
    ##Q/\epsilon_0 = \int \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{S} = 4\pi\alpha (ae^{-\lambda a}) ##
    We should now find the total charge by letting ## a \rightarrow \infty ##, but ##\lim_{a \rightarrow \infty} ae^{-\lambda a} = 0##, giving ##Q = 0## which i thought cannot be right.*

My second method involved finding the charge distribution
    ##\rho/\epsilon_0 = \nabla \cdot \vec{E} = \alpha \frac{e^{-\lambda r}(1-\lambda r)}{r^2} ## but this gives an integral which is divergent!

*I have done some further thinking and realised that ##Q_{tot} = 0## might be the answer, because the charge density changes sign at ##r = 1/\lambda## so the total net charge could as well be zero.

However, how is it possible that the volume integral of #\rho# is divergent then? Or is it not?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2018 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Make sure you are setting up the integral correctly. Are you using the correct form for the volume element of the integral?

4. Jan 2, 2018 #3
    Isn't E = k Q / R^2 (spherical charge distribution)?
    Then 2 E R dR = k dQ.
    The integral doesn't diverge unless (1 / R) appears in the result at R = 0.

5. Jan 2, 2018 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Yes.
    This doesn't look right. From E = k Q / R2 you have k Q = R2 E. If you take the differential of this, you need to note that E is a function of R.

But I don't see the point of doing this. kQ = R2E already tells you how much charge is contained in a sphere of radius R. So, taking the limit as R goes to infinity will give you the total charge of the system. This is essentially what @Marcus95 did in his first method of finding Qtot.

6. Jan 2, 2018 #5
    I tend to agree, but why does R need to go to infinity?
    Was this implied in the problem?

7. Jan 2, 2018 #6
    Also, doesn't L'Hopital's give a finite value for E as R goes to infinity?
    (It does appear to be zero)

8. Jan 2, 2018 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

The charge density extends to infinity. So, to get the total charge you have to include all the charge out to infinity.

9. Jan 2, 2018 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

##E = \alpha \frac{e^{-\lambda r}}{r} ##

L'Hopital gives zero for the limit, but you don't really need L'Hopital. The numerator goes to zero while the denominator goes to infinity as ##r## goes to infinity.

10. Jan 7, 2018 #9
    My integral is:
    ##Q = \int_{r=0}^\infty \int_{\theta=0}^{\pi} \int_{\phi=0}^{2\pi} \alpha\epsilon_0 \frac{e^{-\lambda r}(1-\lambda r)}{r^2} \times r^2sin\theta d\theta dr d\phi ##
    which gives:
    ##Q = 4\phi \alpha \epsilon_0 \int_{r=0}^\infty e^{-\lambda r}(1-\lambda r) dr =4\phi \alpha \epsilon_0 [re^{-\lambda r}]_0^\infty = 0 ##
    so it all works out! Thanks a lot!

11. Jan 7, 2018 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

OK. In the second equation, the ##\phi## should be ##\pi##??

Otherwise, looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted