1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding unit normal vectors and normal/tangent components of accelerat

1. Sep 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    given r(t) = <t, 1/t,0> find T(t) N(t) aT and aN at t = 1

2. Relevant equations
    T(t) = r'/||r'||
    N(t) = T'/||T'||
    aT = a . T = (v . a)/||T||
    aN = a . N = ||v x a||/||v|| = sqrt(||a||2 - aT2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    for my T(t) I get <t2, -1 , 0>/(sqrt(1+t4) (I like keeping things in 3 dimensions even if there is no contribution in the z direction)
    and I am not calculating the normal vector if there isn't some algebra I can use to simplify this greatly , which I am not seeing, t4 + 1 I don't believe I can factor and I can't think of any other way to simplify this one so i'm just moving around through the problem set looking for some r(t) = <cost, sint, t> type of vector that I can simply differentiate and use identities with, desperately trying to avoid those other problems

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you get that? Your first equation in the "relevant equations" section is ##T(t) = r' / \|r\|##. What is ##r'## in this case?

4. Sep 25, 2013 #3
    r' = <1,-1/t2>
    |r'| = sqrt(1 + 1/t4)
    did I mess something up when differentiating/doing algebra/both?

5. Sep 25, 2013 #4
    |r'| = sqrt((t4+1)/t4) = (1/t2)sqrt(t4+1)
    which should be t2r'/(|r'|)
    which I believe is actually <t2,-1>/(sqrt(t4+1)
    which is the same thing...oops i'm not sure what i'm messing up here.

6. Sep 25, 2013 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK, that looks fine. So what is ##T'##? Just use the quotient rule, it shouldn't be too horrible.

7. Sep 25, 2013 #6
    well that's what i'm saying, are there any ways I can simplify this particular unit tangent vector before differentiating? I know how to differentiate it, but on an exam I will chew up a ton of time making sure I keep everything straight with the differentiation in terms of signs and cancellations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted