Unit tangent vector vs principal normal vector

In summary: The first property is that the vector has magnitude 1, and the second property is that the vector acts on the unit tangent vector at every point.
chetzread said:
do you mean express it in form of unit vector ?
why not answer a question with an answer instead of with a question :smile: ?

To your question: No. Unit vectors are boring :smile: : they have norm 1.
In this case you are (of course :rolleyes:) not interested in the vector itself (*), but in the length of that vector product. That is ##\kappa##, a number.

(*) but you can ask yourself which way it is pointing, e.g. for a particle in a circular trajectory in the plane...

Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:
sorry , for T , it should be (-w sin wt i + w coswt j ) / w
, similarly ,
for N , it should be = (-(w^2)((coswt)^2) i - (w^2)((sinwt)^2) j ) / (w^2)
Again , here's the formula have in my book

Yes, so you have ##\vec T = \omega(-\sin \omega t,\cos\omega t)## and ##\vec N = -\omega^2 \vec r\ .\ \ ## Easier on the eyes...:rolleyes:

[edit] Oops! it's even simpler. See #77 for a corrected version...

------------------------------------And no need to repeat the formula in your book, that way we will end up with > 100 posts and many many pages ...o_O

Last edited:
chetzread said:
do you mean express it in form of unit vector ?
No, I mean do you know the something in $$|\vec r'\times\vec r''| = |\vec r'| \;|\vec r''|\; \text{something} $$

BvU said:
No, I mean do you know the something in $$|\vec r'\times\vec r''| = |\vec r'| \;|\vec r''|\; \text{something} $$
well, here's my working...I didnt get the same ans though, which part of working is wrong?
i get w and 1 respectively when i used different approach...

Attachments

• 332.jpg
    332.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 324
If you recognize ##\vec r = (cos\omega t, \sin\omega t) ## as describing the unit circle, you know which of the answers for ##\kappa = {1\over \rho}## is wrong ...
Check your own post #66...

And cry out that I made two huge mistakes in post #72 o:) o:) o:) -- sorry about that !

BvU said:
If you recognize ##\vec r = (cos\omega t, \sin\omega t) ## as describing the unit circle, you know which of the answers for ##\kappa = {1\over \rho}## is wrong ...
Check your own post #66...

And cry out that I made two huge mistakes in post #72 o:) o:) o:) -- sorry about that !
i still couldn't figure out which part is wrong, can you point out?

chetzread said:
i still couldn't figure out which part is wrong, can you point out?
A unit circle has a radius 1, so my guess is that the answer 1 is correct and the answer ##|\vec \omega|## is wrong. And I've found why and it's somewhat my fault because in post #72 I made two huge mistakes.
Note that we are doing two things in parallel: working out the simple example ##\vec r = (cos\omega t, \sin\omega t)## and make an inroad for your long-standing question as in post #1, #13 and #63.

- - - - - - - -

I humbly fix #72:

So far we have the unit vectors (:smile:) ##\ \ \vec T = (-\sin \omega t,\cos\omega t)\ \ ## and ##\ \ \vec N = -\vec r\ \ ## Curvature is 1 and radius is 1.

- - - - - - -

In the more general case the acceleration was decomposed into a tangential component by means of projection . You did not have a problem with that step ? Because we are going to use that to understand the magnitude of the normal component "The second equalities will be left as exercises"

Likes chetzread
BvU said:
A unit circle has a radius 1, so my guess is that the answer 1 is correct and the answer ##|\vec \omega|## is wrong. And I've found why and it's somewhat my fault because in post #72 I made two huge mistakes.
Note that we are doing two things in parallel: working out the simple example ##\vec r = (cos\omega t, \sin\omega t)## and make an inroad for your long-standing question as in post #1, #13 and #63.

- - - - - - - -

I humbly fix #72:

So far we have the unit vectors (:smile:) ##\ \
\vec T = (-\sin \omega t,\cos\omega t)\ \ ## and ##\ \ \vec N = -\vec r\ \ ## Curvature is 1 and radius is 1.

- - - - - -

In the more general case the acceleration was decomposed into a tangential
component
by means of projection . You did
not have a problem with that step ? Because
we are going to use that to understand the
magnitude of the normal component "The second equalities will be left as exercises"
You mean k=(T't) /(r't) is wrong?

chetzread said:
You mean k=(T't) /(r't) is wrong?
I don't know how to divide a vector by a vector. (or perhaps I intentionally misunderstand your notation :smile: )
Anyway, yes: that ##\kappa\equiv \displaystyle {|\vec T'|\over |\vec r'|} ## evaluates to ##|\omega|/ |\omega| = 1 ##.

Last edited:
Likes chetzread
BvU said:
I don't know how to divide a vector by a vector. (or perhaps I intentionally misunderstand your notation :smile: )
Anyway, yes: that ##\kappa\equiv \displaystyle {|\vec T'|\over |\vec r'|} ## evaluates to ##|\omega|/ |omega| = 1 ##.
T'(t) = (omega ^2) , right?

chetzread said:
T'(t) = (omega ^2) , right?

No, not if ##\ \ \vec T = (-\sin \omega t,\cos\omega t)\ \ ##...

And:
Please please please become adept at using a sensible and consistent notation. ##\vec T'## is a vector. ##\omega^2## is a number. They can never never never be equal.

Likes chetzread
BvU said:
No, not if ##\ \ \vec T = (-\sin \omega t,\cos\omega t)\ \ ##...

And:
Please please please become adept at using a sensible and consistent notation. ##\vec T'## is a vector. ##\omega^2## is a number. They can never never never be equal.
##\ \ \vec T = (-w\sin \omega t, w\cos\omega t)\ \ ##...
##\ \ \vec T' = (-(w^2)\cos \omega t, (w^2)\sin\omega t)\ \ ##...
why you left out w for ##\ vec T\ ##...
Here's my previous working

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 407
In your working (I had seen it and checked it already) in the expression for ##\vec T## you can divide out the ##\omega## in the numerator against the ##\omega## in the denominator. (That way you also get a vector that clearly has length 1). Differentiate wrt time to get ##\vec T' = -\omega \;(\cos\omega t, \sin\omega t)## ...

The expression for ##\vec T## in your working may be right (apart from the incorrect notation), but
you should still correct your expression for ##\vec N##: it is not correct.

BvU said:
In your working (I had seen it and checked it already) in the expression for ##\vec T## you can divide out the ##\omega## in the numerator against the ##\omega## in the denominator. (That way you also get a vector that clearly has length 1). Differentiate wrt time to get ##\vec T' = -\omega \;(\cos\omega t, \sin\omega t)## ...

The expression for ##\vec T## in your working may be right (apart from the incorrect notation), but
do you mean by cancelling off the w in the denominator and numerator ##\vec T##
and cancelling off (w^2) in the denominator and numerator ##\vec T'##
eventually, we get magnitude of ##\vec T## and ##\vec T'## equal to 1? k =1 ?

Attachments

• 334.jpg
    334.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 384
BvU said:

tat's weird, how can we do that?

chetzread said:
do you mean by cancelling off the w in the denominator and numerator ##\vec T##
yes
and cancelling off (w^2) in the denominator and numerator ##\vec T'##
No. You differentiate wrt time . See post #83.
eventually, we get magnitude of ##\vec T## and ##\vec T'## equal to 1? k =1 ?
Yes for ##|\vec T|##, beccause ##\vec T## is a unit vector.
No for ##|\vec T'|## because ##\vec T'## is NOT a unit vector. (but of course ##\vec N \equiv \vec T'/|\vec T'|## IS a unit vector !)

see the example. Very useful example !​
chetzread said:
tat's weird, how can we do that?
Because ##\omega## is a scalar. Not to be confused with possible vectors ##\vec \omega##.

In case you insist on a vector ##\vec \omega## in the example: there you have ##\vec \omega = (0,0, \omega)## pointing in the z direction. In short, with the scalar ##\omega##, the norm of ##\vec \omega ## is meant.) I agree that one can become confused, especially when sloppy or inconsistent with notation in general :rolleyes: .​

Likes chetzread