Finding upper and lower sums of a region

• Thread starter RadiationX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sums
In summary, the problem asks how to find the upper and lower sums for the region bounded by the graph of f(x) = x^2 and the x-axis between x=0 and x=2. The left endpoint is given as this: M_{i}=0+i\frac{2}_{n} = \frac{2i}_{n} and the right endpoint is computed in a similar fashion.
RadiationX
here is my problem: find the upper and lower sums for the region bounded by the graph of [tex]f(x) = x^2[/tex] and the x-axis between x=0 and x=2. I understand what this problem is asking but i don't understand how to compte the left and right endpoints. the left endpoint is the following:

[tex]m_{i}=0+(i-1)\frac{2}_{n}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2(i-1)}_{n}[/tex]

and the right enpoint is given as this:

[tex]M_{i}=0+i\frac{2}_{n}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{2i}_{n}[/tex]

The lower sum ( left enpoint) is the following:

8\3 - 4\n + 4\3n^2

and the right endpoint is computed in a similar fashion.

my question is, how do i find the left and right enpoints? what is the formula for doing this? what if the lower bound is not zero but some other number, how would i find it then?

Physics news on Phys.org
The lower (and upper) endpoints depend on n. For a given n, the [itex]m_i[/itex] you gave gives all the left endpoints if you let i range from 1 to n (same for the upper sum). Maybe working out a couple examples wouldn't hurt, if n=2 or 3 can you find the endpoints?

What are you planning on using for the lower sum?

In your formulas for the left and right endpoints, the 0 is the leftmost point in the interval, the "2/n" is signifying the width of each sub-interval. If you are splitting the interval [a,b] up into n pieces, what would you replace these with?

I don't understand your question: you say, correctly, that
"the left endpoint is the following:

= [tex]\frac{2(i-1)}_{n}[/tex]"
and
"the right endpoint is given as this
[tex]\frac{2i}_{n}[/tex]"

So what could you possibly mean by "how do i find the left and right enpoints?" Didn't you just do that?

this problem solution was copied from my text. i did not fing the endpoints myself.

You are asked to find the integral from 0 to 2 and are dividing that into n intervals.
The length of each interval, therefore, is the distance from 0 to 2 (which is 2) divided by n: 2/n. For example, if you only used 2 intervals, each would have length 1, of course. And your "endpoints" would be 0, 1, 2: start from the left at 0 and add that length. If you used 4 intervals, each would have length 2/4= 1/2 and your endpoints would be 0+ 0*(1/2)= 0, 0+ 1*(1/2)= 1/2, 0+ 2*(1/2)= 1, 0+ 3*(1/2)= 3/2, and 0+ 4*(1/2)= 2. If you use n intervals, each would have length 2/n and your endpoints would be 0+ 0*(2/n)=0, 0+ 1*(2/n)= 2/n, ..., 0+ i*(1/n)= 2/n.

To get the right endpoints start with i= 1 and go up to n. To get the left endpoints, you could just use i= 0 to n-1. What your text is doing apparently, is replacing i in
2i/n by i-1 which gives 2(i-1)/n and you can use i= 1 to n again.

thanks IVY, I still don't quite understand what's going on with this idea,but i really appreciate the feedback.

FAQ: Finding upper and lower sums of a region

What is the purpose of finding upper and lower sums of a region?

The purpose of finding upper and lower sums of a region is to estimate the area under a curve, which is useful in many scientific and mathematical applications. This process is also known as finding the Riemann sum.

How do you find the upper and lower sums of a region?

To find the upper and lower sums of a region, you first divide the region into smaller subregions, each with a specific width. Then, you calculate the area of each subregion using the upper or lower boundary of the curve. Finally, you add up all the areas to get the upper and lower sums.

What is the difference between the upper and lower sums?

The upper sum uses the maximum value of the curve within each subregion to calculate the area, while the lower sum uses the minimum value. This results in the upper sum being an overestimate of the area, while the lower sum is an underestimate. The actual area lies somewhere between these two values.

Why is it important to use smaller subregions when finding upper and lower sums?

Using smaller subregions allows for a more accurate estimation of the area under the curve. As the width of the subregions decreases, the upper and lower sums will approach the actual area. This is known as the limit of the Riemann sum.

What are the limitations of using upper and lower sums to estimate area?

Using upper and lower sums can only provide an approximation of the actual area under a curve. It is not always possible to use smaller subregions, and the accuracy of the estimation can be affected by the shape of the curve. Additionally, discontinuities or sharp turns in the curve can also affect the accuracy of the estimation.

Back