1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding vector coordinates help

1. Jun 8, 2008 #1
    My question is regarding the following problem:

Relative to a fixed origin, O, the line l has the equation

r = (i + pj − 5k) + λ(3i − j + qk),

where p and q are constants and λ is a scalar parameter.

Given that the point A with coordinates (−5, 9, −9) lies on l,

(a) find the values of p and q,

(b) show that the point B with coordinates (25, −1, 11) also lies on l.

The point C lies on l and is such that OC is perpendicular to l.

(c) Find the coordinates of C.

(d) Find the ratio AC : CB

I have no problem with parts a to c (for a the answer is p=7, q=2, and for c the answer is (4, 6, −3)). However, for part (d) the method which I used was simply finding the magnitude of AC and CB, and then finding the ratio. However, the markscheme has used a far more elegant method, which I was wondering if someone could explain:

A : λ = −2, B : λ = 8, C : λ = 1 ∴ AC : CB = 3 : 7

Thank you for any assistance.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I take it you mean that in parts (a), (b), and (c), you have determined that the corresponding [itex]\lambda[/itex] values for A, B, and C are -2, 8, and 1 respectively.

Write the equation of the line as P+ tQ. Then A= P-2Q, B= P+ 8Q, C= P+ Q. A-C is the vector (-2-(1))Q= -3Q and B- C is the vector (8- 1)Q= 7Q. Since the lengths AC and BC are 3|Q| and 7|Q| respectively the ratio of their lengths is 3/7.
  4. Jun 8, 2008 #3
    ahh yes, of course! Thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?