Finding weight of an unknown mass

In summary, the conversation discussed the goal of finding the weight of an unknown mass using a device that can only be touched once. The idea of using a simple balance with a known weight on one side and an unknown weight on the other side was suggested, with a motor moving the known weight until the angle of the balance is less than 30 degrees. The person also mentioned a sensor that can measure the angle and the distances of both weights from the fulcrum. When asked about using a kitchen scale, it was clarified that no pre-made scales can be used and the device must run on batteries. The suggestion of using a strain gauge was brought up, with an explanation of how it works and its potential challenges.
gallimaufry
The goal is to find the weight of an unknown mass by building some sort of device. The mass given can be anywhere between 10g and 2000g. Once the mass is given to you, the only thing you can do is place it on your device and that's it. You are not allowed to touch the device afterwords. The device must work on its own and do what it does, but the person is allowed to look at the device and do any calculations needed. For example, if you need to know a distance, then a meter stick would be mounted on the device so that you do not have to touch the device. The idea i came up with, is a simple old style balance with a fulcrum in the center and a known weight on one side and an unknown weight on the other side. The known weight will be moved by motor until the angle the balance is at is less then 30 degrees. There will be a sensor in the middle where the fulcrum is that will tell me the angle it is at on an lcd. I need to know how to be able to calculate the unknown mass when the balance is not balanced and the things i know are the known mass, the angle the balance is at, the distance from the fulcrum of the unknown mass, and the distance of the known mass. If you can explain how to solve for the mass, that would be great help. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot use any pre-made scales and the scale must also be able to run on batteries no more than 12 volts. Thanks for the reply!

OK, then I would recommend making your own kitchen scale using a strain gauge. That will be a lot easier than setting up a motor with a feedback loop and figuring out some way to measure the torque.

How do strain gauges work, this might be a good idea except i left out the trick to the challenge. When you show your device you will be given a mystery material that you will have to incorporate into the scale. So the more simple, the harder it is to incorporate a random material. I will look into the strain gauge and maybe even try it out. Thanks

gallimaufry said:
How do strain gauges work
A strain gauge is made of a material whose resistance changes as a function of its length. You attach the strain gauge to a cantilever beam, build it into a simple Wheatstone bridge, and amplify it. Most kitchen scales work this way. You can make it more accurate by periodically reversing the excitation voltage on the Wheatstone bridge and taking the difference between the forward and reverse voltages.

1. How do you find the weight of an unknown mass?

The weight of an unknown mass can be found by using a scale or balance. The mass is placed on one side of the scale and weights are added to the other side until the scale is balanced. The total weight of the weights on the other side is then equal to the weight of the unknown mass.

2. What equipment is needed to find the weight of an unknown mass?

To find the weight of an unknown mass, you will need a scale or balance, weights, and a surface to place the unknown mass on. It is important to use a scale or balance that is accurate and calibrated.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight and mass are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different measurements. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can change depending on the strength of gravity.

4. How does the weight of an unknown mass affect its gravitational pull?

The weight of an unknown mass does not affect its gravitational pull. Gravity is a force that is determined by the mass of two objects and the distance between them. The weight of an object is only affected by the strength of gravity, not the other way around.

5. What are some potential sources of error when finding the weight of an unknown mass?

Some potential sources of error when finding the weight of an unknown mass include using an inaccurate or uncalibrated scale, not distributing the weights evenly on the other side of the scale, and not accounting for the weight of the surface the mass is placed on. It is important to be mindful of these potential errors in order to obtain an accurate measurement.