1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding work done in spherical coordinates

1. Dec 13, 2011 #1
    1. Find the work done by the force F=r3*cos2[itex]\varphi[/itex]*sin[itex]\varphi[/itex]*[itex]\hat{r}[/itex] + r3*cos[itex]\varphi[/itex]*cos(2[itex]\varphi[/itex]) [itex]\hat{\varphi}[/itex]
    from the point (0,0,0) to (2,0,0)

2. Relevant equations
    Work=[itex]\int[/itex] F*dr
    where dr= dr[itex]\hat{r}[/itex] + rd[itex]\varphi[/itex][itex]\hat{\varphi}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

When muliplying the line element, dr, by the force, F, I come up with
    [itex]\int[/itex] r3*cos2[itex]\varphi[/itex]*sin[itex]\varphi[/itex] dr +[itex]\int[/itex] r4*cos[itex]\varphi[/itex]*cos(2[itex]\varphi[/itex]) d[itex]\varphi[/itex]

I believe the r goes from 0 to 2, and there is no change in [itex]\varphi[/itex]

I end up with 4*cos[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\varphi[/itex]*sin[itex]\varphi[/itex]
    but then when I plug in 0 for [itex]\varphi[/itex], the answer ends up being zero, which I have a hard time believing since it moves from 0 to 2.
    Any help is greatly appreciated
    Thank You in advance.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What is the force along [itex]\varphi = 0[/itex]?
    (This should simplify your line integral.)

4. Dec 13, 2011 #3
    Check the force along the path you are given (because it's really a line integral through a vector field), and it should become fairly simple to see why that is. Notice that your psi component didn't really change in the integral that mattered.

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4
    Thanks for the replies
    I believe you are saying that the force along [itex]\varphi[/itex]=0 is just zero along the r component, which is the only component that matters, since there is no motion in the other two coordinates. Since my force is actually zero at [itex]\varphi[/itex]=0, it doesn't matter that I went from (0,0,0) to (2,0,0), since no force means no work.

Am I interpreting your comments correctly?
    Thanks for the feedback. Always appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook