1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Virtual work principle: equilibrium state of a system

1. Mar 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a system (see attached graphics) of two rods with length ##l## and mass ##m## and some external force ##F##. The coefficients ##k## of the two springs are given. The springs have no deformation when ##\varphi =0##.
    a) Find generalized force of the system.
    b) Determine the equilibrium state if ##F=0##.
    Capture.PNG
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly we have to determine the origin of our cartesian coordinate system. I went for the center point as shown in the graphics above.

Than I identified all the forces in the system: $$F_0=(0,F)$$ $$F_1=(-kl(1-\cos \varphi),0)$$ $$F_2=(kl(1-\cos \varphi),0)$$ and lastly $$F_4=F_5=(0,-mg)$$
    Than vectors $$r_0=(0,l\sin \varphi)$$ $$r_1=(-l\cos \varphi ,0)$$ $$r_2=(l\cos \varphi ,0)$$ $$r_3=(-\frac l 2 \cos \varphi, \frac l 2 \sin \varphi)$$ and $$r_4=(\frac l 2 \cos \varphi, \frac l 2 \sin \varphi)$$
    Now in order to use the virtual work principle ##\delta W =\sum _i F_i\delta r_i## one has to firstly calculate all the ##\delta r_i##: $$\delta r_0=(0,l\cos \varphi)d\varphi $$ $$\delta r_1=(l\sin \varphi ,0)d\varphi$$ $$\delta r_2=(-l\sin \varphi ,0)d\varphi$$ $$\delta r_3=(\frac l 2 \sin \varphi, \frac l 2 \cos \varphi)d\varphi$$ and $$\delta r_4=(-\frac l 2 \sin \varphi, \frac l 2 \cos \varphi)d\varphi$$
    Now following the virtual work principle: $$\delta W=l\Big [(F-mg)\cos\varphi +kl(\sin(2\varphi)-2\sin\varphi)\Big ]d\varphi$$
    a) Therefore the generalized force is $$Q=l\Big [(F-mg)\cos\varphi +kl(\sin(2\varphi)-2\sin\varphi)\Big ]$$
    b) In order to find the equilibrium state we take ##\delta W=0## for ##F=0##. That leads me to $$mg \cos \varphi +2kl \sin \varphi -2kl \sin \varphi \cos \varphi =0$$

The problem is that I have no idea what to do now. Therefore I kinda think I did something wrong. Does anybody know what is wrong here or how to continue?

ps.: Sorry for the wrong part of this forum - this is probably an "introduction" problem, not advanced.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2016 #2

4. Mar 5, 2016 #3
    Hi!
    First,i divide both side of the equation by 2kl,then define a to be equal to mg/2kl,so the equation would be as follows,
    acos(x)+sin(x)-{cos(x).sin(x)}=0,in which i replaxe the fi notation by "x". Now by taking {cos(x).sin(x)}to the right then squaring both sides
    we have, (a^2)((cos(x))^2) +((sin(x))^2) +2acos(x)sin(x)=(cos(x))^2)((sin(x))^2).Here from trigonometry we know
    cos(x))^2=1-((sin(x))^2),so replace all "cos(x))^2" terms by 1-((sin(x))^2),then divide both sides by sin(x).Now we have onlyone term with
    cosine,then take the other terms to the another side and again squar both sides and replace the cos(x))^2 by1-((sin(x))^2).Finally we have
    an equation which contains onle sin(x).I hope it be easily solvable.
    Best,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted