Finding work done & temp change by looking at a plot

In summary, to find the work done by the gas, you need to find the area under the curve in the P-V diagram. To find the temperature at point C, you need to use the ideal gas law and the information given in the problem. To find the heat added or removed from the gas, you need to use the first law of thermodynamics and the information found in part (b).
Sondra

Homework Statement

Refer to plot attached.

Homework Equations

(a)Find the work done by a monatomic ideal gas as it expands from point A to point C along the path shown in the figure. (The horizontal axis is marked in increments of 25 m3.)
(b) If the temperature of the gas is 215 K at point A, what is its temperature at point C?
(c) How much heat has been added to or removed from the gas during this process?

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I know that the area under the curve is the work done so my guess is
W=P*Vol. Change= 200kpa*25m^3*6.5 squares
I need to convert this then to MJ
(b) Completely lost here
(c) Once i know change in temp I will be able to find Q

Thank you for all your help in advance![/B]

Attachments

• 18-23alt.gif
    18-23alt.gif
    24 KB · Views: 577
Physics news on Phys.org
Sondra said:

Homework Statement

Refer to plot attached.

Homework Equations

(a)Find the work done by a monatomic ideal gas as it expands from point A to point C along the path shown in the figure. (The horizontal axis is marked in increments of 25 m3.)
(b) If the temperature of the gas is 215 K at point A, what is its temperature at point C?
(c) How much heat has been added to or removed from the gas during this process?

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I know that the area under the curve is the work done so my guess is
W=P*Vol. Change= 200kpa*25m^3*6.5 squares
I need to convert this then to MJ
(b) Completely lost here[/B]

What is T in terms of P, V, n? Hint: first you have to find n using the starting temperature of 215K at point A.

AM

To do this problem, you need to make the following 2 assumptions:

1. The pressure in the P-V plot is the external pressure applied to the gas
2. Point's A and C correspond to thermodynamic equilibrium states of the gas.

Under assumption 2, you can use Andrew's hint to get the number of moles of gas, and then you can determine the temperature at point C.

1. How can I determine the work done by looking at a plot?

The work done can be determined by calculating the area under the curve on the plot. This can be done by dividing the curve into smaller rectangles and calculating the area of each rectangle using the formula A = length x width. Then, add up the areas of all the rectangles to get an estimate of the total work done.

2. What factors affect the change in temperature shown on a plot?

The change in temperature shown on a plot can be affected by several factors, including the amount of energy applied, the type of material being heated, and the starting temperature of the material. Other factors such as the surrounding environment and any external forces can also impact the change in temperature.

3. How can I use a plot to determine the efficiency of a process?

To determine the efficiency of a process, you can use a plot to compare the amount of work done with the change in temperature. The steeper the slope of the plot, the more efficient the process is, as it means more work was done with a smaller change in temperature.

4. Can a plot be used to predict the final temperature of a system?

Yes, a plot can be used to predict the final temperature of a system by extrapolating the line of the plot. However, this prediction may not be accurate as it does not take into account any external factors that may affect the temperature change.

5. How can I use a plot to compare the work done by different processes?

A plot can be used to compare the work done by different processes by looking at the area under the curve. The process with the larger area under the curve has done more work compared to the process with the smaller area. However, other factors such as efficiency and starting temperatures should also be considered when comparing the work done by different processes.