Finding Work Done with Integration

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the work required to pump water over the top of a cone that is filled with water to a depth of 9 feet. The density of water is given and the integral for finding the work is set up, but there is confusion over the direction of the cone. The correct solution is determined to be when the cone is pointing downwards, with the radius being 4 feet at the bottom and 0 feet at the top. The final answer for the work required is 27788 ft-lbs.
armolinasf

Homework Statement

There's a cone with height 12 feet and radius 4 feet. It is filled with water to a depth of 9 feet. Find the work required to pump the water over the top. The density of water is 62.4lbs/ft^3

work=force*distance & force=volume*density

The Attempt at a Solution

F=pi(r^2)*62.4 and r=(12-y)/3 by similar triangles

the distance should be 12-y

Putting this together, my integral looks like this:

62.4[tex]\pi[/tex]/9 [tex]\int^{9}_{0}[/tex](12-y)[tex]^{3}[/tex]dy

evaluating gives 37491 ft-lbs, but the answer in my book is 27788 ft-lbs

If someone can point out where I'm going wrong, it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If y is the distance from the bottom of the cone and r=(12-y)/3 then r=0 at the top of the cone and r=4 at the bottom. You've got the cone upside down.

Sorry I should have mentioned this, it specifies that the cone is actually pointing downwards

armolinasf said:
Sorry I should have mentioned this, it specifies that the cone is actually pointing downwards
As Dick said: "If y is the distance from the bottom of the cone and r=(12-y)/3 then r=0 at the top of the cone and r=4 at the bottom."

That is pointing UP !

As you said, the cone is pointing downwards.

Wow I should have caught that...thanks for the help

1. What is the basic concept behind finding work done with integration?

The basic concept is that work is equal to the force applied multiplied by the distance over which the force is applied. Integration is used to find the total work done when the force applied is not constant, but varies over a distance.

2. How is integration used to find work done?

Integration is used to find work done by calculating the area under a curve representing the varying force over a distance. This is known as the work integral.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative work in integration?

Positive work is done when the force applied is in the same direction as the displacement, while negative work is done when the force and displacement are in opposite directions. This is reflected in the sign of the work integral.

4. Can integration be used to find work done in real-world scenarios?

Yes, integration is a powerful tool used in physics and engineering to find work done in real-world scenarios such as calculating the energy required to lift an object against gravity or the work done by a variable force in a mechanical system.

5. What are some common applications of finding work done with integration?

Some common applications include calculating the work done by a spring in a mechanical system, determining the energy required to move an object through a fluid, and finding the work done by a varying electric field on a charged particle.