Finding z1 , z2 of complex numer

• Thread starter kelvin macks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary: Yeah.can it be done using plar form? if can, can you please show me how do u express z^2 in polar form,Yes. Use polar form.
kelvin macks

Homework Statement

in order to get z1 and z2 , i tried to express z^2 into polar form, but z is to the power of 2, I'm not sure whether it can be epressed in polar form of not. by the way , here's my working. how should i proceed? i don't think my ans is correct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• popp.jpg
    popp.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
I can not read your handwriting. The polar form can be used, but the solution is much simpler if you start writing z=u+iv and solving for u, v. Try.

ehild

I can only understand the numbers.

kelvin macks said:

Homework Statement

in order to get z1 and z2 , i tried to express z^2 into polar form, but z is to the power of 2, I'm not sure whether it can be epressed in polar form of not. by the way , here's my working. how should i proceed? i don't think my ans is correct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I also find your handwriting unreadable.

ehild said:
I can not read your handwriting. The polar form can be used, but the solution is much simpler if you start writing z=u+iv and solving for u, v. Try.

ehild

do u mean i should let z = a+bi , then i sub z = a+bi into z^2 ? by doing so, you assume that z1 and z2 , one of it must be conjugate to the others. am i right? here's the sample ans, why the author let z = a-bi , and not z = a+bi ?

Attachments

• DSC_0014~4[1].jpg
    DSC_0014~4[1].jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
I am not ehild, but I really do think that this is what he meant.

mafagafo said:
I am not ehild, but I really do think that this is what he meant.

can it be done using plar form? if can, can you please show me how do u express z^2 in polar form, i have done it in the very first post, but i don't think it's correct. my ans is weird.

can it be done using plar form?
Yeah.

if can, can you please show me how do u express z^2 in polar form
I can, but will not. I like the policy of not giving full answers. For anything.

Hint: do you know De Moivre's formula?
if not, then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Moivre's_formula is a good place to start.

There are some other places for it too. The solution you attached in #5 is rock-solid.

Edit: share your attempt at of expressing z^2 using De Moivre's so we can check it for you. Use LaTeX or ASCII characters, you handwriting is... complicated.

kelvin macks said:
do u mean i should let z = a+bi , then i sub z = a+bi into z^2 ? by doing so, you assume that z1 and z2 , one of it must be conjugate to the others. am i right? here's the sample ans, why the author let z = a-bi , and not z = a+bi ?

No, z1 and z2 are not conjugate pairs, but one is the negative of the other. You can write the complex z as ##z=\pm \sqrt{1-2\sqrt2 i}##

As the imaginary part of z2 is negative, it is convenient to consider the imaginary part of z also negative. It does not matter. So z = a-ib, you square it, and compare with 1-2√2 i, so as the real parts are equal and the imaginary parts are also equal. Solve the system of equation for a, b.
Note that both a and b are real.

You can use polar form, too, but it is tedious. You convert 1-2√2 i to polar form numerically, determine the second roots, and convert back. You round at each step, losing accuracy.
I suspect you did not use the correct formula for the n-th root of a complex number. Check it.

ehild

Last edited:

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that contains both a real and imaginary component. It is usually written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part, with i being the imaginary unit.

2. How do I find the real and imaginary parts of a complex number?

To find the real and imaginary parts of a complex number, you can use the rectangular form a + bi. The real part is represented by a, while the imaginary part is represented by bi.

3. How do I find the modulus or absolute value of a complex number?

The modulus or absolute value of a complex number is the distance of the number from the origin on the complex plane. It can be calculated using the formula |z| = √(a² + b²), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number, respectively.

4. What is the conjugate of a complex number?

The conjugate of a complex number is a number with the same real part but an opposite imaginary part. It is represented by z* and can be calculated by changing the sign of the imaginary part, i.e. if z = a + bi, then z* = a - bi.

5. How do I find the complex conjugate of a complex number?

To find the complex conjugate of a complex number, simply change the sign of the imaginary part. For example, if z = 3 + 2i, then the complex conjugate of z is 3 - 2i.