1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding z1 , z2 of complex numer

1. May 31, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

in order to get z1 and z2 , i tried to express z^2 into polar form, but z is to the power of 2, i'm not sure whether it can be epressed in polar form of not. by the way , here's my working. how should i proceed? i dont think my ans is correct.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can not read your handwriting. The polar form can be used, but the solution is much simpler if you start writing z=u+iv and solving for u, v. Try.

ehild

4. May 31, 2014 #3
    I can only understand the numbers.

5. May 31, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I also find your handwriting unreadable.

6. May 31, 2014 #5
    do u mean i should let z = a+bi , then i sub z = a+bi into z^2 ? by doing so, you assume that z1 and z2 , one of it must be conjugate to the others. am i right? here's the sample ans, why the author let z = a-bi , and not z = a+bi ?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  7. May 31, 2014 #6
    I am not ehild, but I really do think that this is what he meant.

8. May 31, 2014 #7
    can it be done using plar form? if can, can you please show me how do u express z^2 in polar form, i have done it in the very first post, but i dont think it's correct. my ans is weird.

9. May 31, 2014 #8
    can it be done using plar form?
    Yeah.

if can, can you please show me how do u express z^2 in polar form
    I can, but will not. I like the policy of not giving full answers. For anything.

Hint: do you know De Moivre's formula?
    if not, then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Moivre's_formula is a good place to start.

There are some other places for it too. The solution you attached in #5 is rock-solid.

Edit: share your attempt at of expressing z^2 using De Moivre's so we can check it for you. Use LaTeX or ASCII characters, you handwriting is... complicated.

10. Jun 1, 2014 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, z1 and z2 are not conjugate pairs, but one is the negative of the other. You can write the complex z as ##z=\pm \sqrt{1-2\sqrt2 i}##

As the imaginary part of z2 is negative, it is convenient to consider the imaginary part of z also negative. It does not matter. So z = a-ib, you square it, and compare with 1-2√2 i, so as the real parts are equal and the imaginary parts are also equal. Solve the system of equation for a, b.
    Note that both a and b are real.

You can use polar form, too, but it is tedious. You convert 1-2√2 i to polar form numerically, determine the second roots, and convert back. You round at each step, losing accuracy.
    I suspect you did not use the correct formula for the n-th root of a complex number. Check it.

ehild

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted