Finding zeros of a quartic function

• Thread starter DTA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: You can also try decimals if you need to. But if you don't have a calculator handy, you're out of luck.
DTA

Homework Statement

The problem states:

Consider the function f(x)=x4-8x3+2x2+80x-75

a) Verify that x-1 and x-5 are factors
b) Find the remaining factors of f(x)
c) List all real zeros

Homework Equations

I did synthetic division to prove that 1 and 5 are factors, yet I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the remaining zeros.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried splitting up the equation and factoring out from both sides and got:

x3(x-8)+2x(x-40)-75

And I just got lost from here. I'm blanking on how to find the zeros besides just choosing a bunch of numbers and doing synthetic division a bunch of times.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If x-1 and x-5 are factors, what do f(1) and f(5) equal, and why?

You might also find it helpful to use the results of the synthetic division to get a polynomial that's easier to factor.

They both equal zero. I already understood that part, but my teacher is asking for any remaining factors of f(x). I used my graphing calculator and saw f(-3) is another zero, but I don't know how to factor f(x) to algebraically find f(-3) as a zero.

Since you know that x-1 and x-5 are factors of the function f(x)=x^4-8x^3+2x^2+80x-75 then there exist a function, call it p(x) which as the property that if multiplied with the two factors it yields the function f(x). In other words:

(Assuming x-1 and x-5 are factors)

f(x) = x4 - 8x3 + 2x2 + 80x - 75
->
f(x) = p(x) * (x-1) * (x-5)

You will be able to find p(x) by dividing f(x) with (x-1)(x-5).

Now you utilize that p(x)'s factors are also factors of the 'original' function, f(x). And you get the factors for p(x), obviously, from solving the equation p(x) = 0.

(I'm very tired and English is not my native language, so I hope I was able to provide you with some hints)

Synthetic division gives you both a remainder and a quotient. Say you verified the x-5 case first. The bottom row of numbers you got would be 1, -3, -13, 15, 0. The final zero tells you that x-5 divided evenly into f(x); the first four numbers give you the quotient. So you have [itex]f(x)=(x-5)(x^3-3x^2-13x+15)[/itex]. Now if you do synthetic division of [itex]x^3-3x^2-13x+15[/itex] by x-1, you'll be left with a quadratic, which you can hopefully factor by trial and error or by inspection.

1. What is a quartic function?

A quartic function is a function that can be written in the form f(x) = ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants and x is the variable. It is a type of polynomial function with degree 4.

2. What does it mean to find zeros of a quartic function?

When we say we are finding the zeros of a quartic function, we are looking for the values of x that make the function equal to zero. These values are also known as the roots or solutions of the function.

3. How can I find the zeros of a quartic function?

There are several methods for finding the zeros of a quartic function, including graphing, factoring, and using the quadratic formula. Another method is to use the Rational Root Theorem and synthetic division to test possible rational roots of the function.

4. Can a quartic function have complex zeros?

Yes, a quartic function can have complex zeros. Complex zeros occur when the solutions involve imaginary numbers, such as √-1. These solutions often come in pairs, such as a + bi and a - bi, where a and b are real numbers.

5. Why is it important to find the zeros of a quartic function?

Finding the zeros of a quartic function can help us understand the behavior of the function and its graph. It can also be useful in solving real-world problems and making predictions about the behavior of a system or phenomenon represented by the function.