1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding zeros of a quartic function

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1

DTA

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem states:

Consider the function f(x)=x4-8x3+2x2+80x-75

a) Verify that x-1 and x-5 are factors
    b) Find the remaining factors of f(x)
    c) List all real zeros

2. Relevant equations

I did synthetic division to prove that 1 and 5 are factors, yet I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the remaining zeros.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried splitting up the equation and factoring out from both sides and got:

x3(x-8)+2x(x-40)-75

And I just got lost from here. I'm blanking on how to find the zeros besides just choosing a bunch of numbers and doing synthetic division a bunch of times.

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2
    If x-1 and x-5 are factors, what do f(1) and f(5) equal, and why?

4. Jun 12, 2010 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You might also find it helpful to use the results of the synthetic division to get a polynomial that's easier to factor.

5. Jun 12, 2010 #4

DTA

They both equal zero. I already understood that part, but my teacher is asking for any remaining factors of f(x). I used my graphing calculator and saw f(-3) is another zero, but I don't know how to factor f(x) to algebraically find f(-3) as a zero.

6. Jun 12, 2010 #5
    Since you know that x-1 and x-5 are factors of the function f(x)=x^4-8x^3+2x^2+80x-75 then there exist a function, call it p(x) which as the property that if multiplied with the two factors it yields the function f(x). In other words:

(Assuming x-1 and x-5 are factors)

f(x) = x4 - 8x3 + 2x2 + 80x - 75
    ->
    f(x) = p(x) * (x-1) * (x-5)

You will be able to find p(x) by dividing f(x) with (x-1)(x-5).

Now you utilize that p(x)'s factors are also factors of the 'original' function, f(x). And you get the factors for p(x), obviously, from solving the equation p(x) = 0.

(I'm very tired and English is not my native language, so I hope I was able to provide you with some hints)

7. Jun 12, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Synthetic division gives you both a remainder and a quotient. Say you verified the x-5 case first. The bottom row of numbers you got would be 1, -3, -13, 15, 0. The final zero tells you that x-5 divided evenly into f(x); the first four numbers give you the quotient. So you have [itex]f(x)=(x-5)(x^3-3x^2-13x+15)[/itex]. Now if you do synthetic division of [itex]x^3-3x^2-13x+15[/itex] by x-1, you'll be left with a quadratic, which you can hopefully factor by trial and error or by inspection.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook