FindRoot solving of Excel input columns

In summary, the conversation was about a request for help with numerically solving equations using Excel and Mathematica programming. The person was looking for assistance in automating the process and wanted to import and export data from Excel to Mathematica. They also mentioned trying to use a For loop but were unsuccessful. Another person suggested using R software as an alternative. The original post was over 11 years old and may no longer be relevant.
itedin
Hi, I've posted another thread asking for general help on how to solve numerically with excel. Here is my specific situation if anybody is well versed with Mathematica programming. I'd appreciate any help.

I've successfully created a FindRoot to solve eqn's for one set of data points. However, I really need to automate this... here's what I'm working on:

A's are columns of excel data with a several hundred rows of data.
k's are constants
t's are variables to solve and plot.

k1=#; k2=#; k3=#;
Eqn1 = t1 - k1*Log[ 1 + (A1/A3)*(1 - exp(-t3)*(exp(-t2) ];
Eqn2 = t2 - k2*Log[ 1 + (A2/A3)*(1 - exp(-t3/) ];
Eqn3 = t3 -k3*t2;
FindRoot[{Eqn1==0,Eqn2==0,Eqn3==0}, { {t1,1},{t2,1},(t3,1} } ]

What I'd like to do is...
1. import 4 column (A1,A2,A3,A4) excel sheet, where A4 is carried through and not processed.
2. export 4 column results for (t1,t2,t3,A4) to xls, and plot t1 vs A4, t2 vs A4, t3 vs A4 in mathematica.

I've read through help to no avail... and have tried some kind of For loop on this FindRoot, and haven't been successful.

Much appreciate anybody's help.
PS - No budget currently for Wolframs Excel applet for Mathematica ;-)

Regards,
John

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't use mathematica, so I can't help with that, but there are other software, such as the freely available software R, which are made for reading, manipulating and writing large data sets:
https://www.r-project.org/

Last edited:
11+ years old, ...not too sure that the problem is relevant any longer...

1. How does FindRoot work in solving Excel input columns?

FindRoot is a function in Excel that is used to find the root of a given equation or formula. It works by using an iterative process to guess and refine the value of the root until it reaches a desired level of accuracy. In the context of solving Excel input columns, FindRoot can be used to find the value of a specific cell by inputting the necessary equations and variables.

2. Can FindRoot be used for non-linear input columns?

Yes, FindRoot can be used for non-linear input columns as long as the equation or formula used is continuous and has a defined root. However, it is important to note that FindRoot may not always provide an accurate solution for non-linear input columns, and other methods such as using the Solver tool may be more appropriate.

3. How do I input equations and variables into FindRoot for solving Excel input columns?

To use FindRoot for solving Excel input columns, you can simply type in the equation or formula into the cell where you want the solution to appear, preceded by an equals sign (=). You can also specify the variables by referencing other cells in the spreadsheet or by typing in their numerical values directly.

4. Is there a limit to the number of equations and variables that can be used in FindRoot?

No, there is no limit to the number of equations and variables that can be used in FindRoot for solving Excel input columns. However, keep in mind that the more complex the equations and variables are, the longer it may take for FindRoot to calculate the solution.

5. Can FindRoot be used for solving input columns in other spreadsheet programs?

FindRoot is a function specific to Excel and may not be available in other spreadsheet programs. However, other programs may have similar functions or tools that can achieve the same goal of solving input columns. It is best to consult the program's documentation or do some research to find the appropriate method for your specific program.