Switching Majors: Is it Possible to Graduate in 1.5 Years?

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's transition from a Physics major to being interested in civil engineering. They have reviewed their lower division courses and have performed well in them. The speaker is now trying to complete their degree as quickly as possible and is wondering if it is possible to finish in 1.5 years, or even sooner. They are also seeking advice on whether it is wise to take multiple upper division classes in one semester. The response advised against rushing and suggested focusing on understanding the material rather than completing the degree quickly.
TDRR
I was originally a Physics major going to start my upper-divisions in the fall. However, a couple days ago I talked with a civil engineer and was genuinely interested. As of right now, I went and reviewed thoroughly much of my lower division physics and math courses courses (up to quantum mechanics and diff eq). In Physics I-III, Calculus I-III, LA+Diff Eq class I was always either the highest grade, or top 3. I also consider myself to be a a good worker, I definitely spend my time and effort into learning the material.

So as the topic states, I'm trying to get my degree as soon as possible. Taking into account that I'm attending a semester-based school, is it possible to complete the degree in 1.5 years from taking the first upper division Civil Engineering class? Can it be completed sooner? Is it wise to stack plenty classes in this major? From your experiences, is taking Fluid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Material Analysis and another class or two all in one semester overload? Any help/insight would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't want to get it done as quickly as possible. You won't learn the material as well as you could.

1. Can I switch majors and still graduate in 1.5 years?

It is possible to switch majors and still graduate in 1.5 years, but it will depend on a variety of factors such as the number of credits you have already completed, the requirements for your new major, and the availability of classes. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to create a plan that will allow you to graduate in the desired timeframe.

2. Will I have to retake classes if I switch majors?

It is possible that you may have to retake some classes if they are not applicable to your new major. However, many universities have general education requirements that are transferable between majors, so you may not have to start completely from scratch. Again, it is important to work closely with your academic advisor to determine which classes you will need to retake.

3. How will switching majors affect my graduation date?

If you switch majors, it is likely that your graduation date will be delayed. The amount of time you add will depend on the number of credits you have already completed and the requirements for your new major. It is important to have a clear understanding of your graduation requirements and to plan accordingly.

4. Can I switch to a completely different field of study?

Yes, it is possible to switch to a completely different field of study. However, keep in mind that this may require you to take additional classes and may delay your graduation. It is important to carefully consider your reasons for wanting to switch majors and to research the requirements for your new major before making a decision.

5. Will switching majors affect my financial aid?

Switching majors may affect your financial aid, especially if you have scholarships or grants that are specific to your current major. It is important to check with your financial aid office to understand how switching majors may impact your financial aid package. You may also need to submit a new FAFSA or other financial aid forms.