1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite difference Poisson's equation

1. Sep 7, 2015 #1
    I am trying to solve the following eigenvalue differential equation numerically:

2ψ = Eψ

, where the coordinate system is polar coordinates and the boundary condition is ψ(R,Φ)=0, where R is the radius of the disk i am working on.

To solve it I am using a finite difference scheme, but there are some problems. The radial equation is:

(-∂2ψ/∂r2-1/r ∂/∂r + m^2/r^2) = Eψ

But since I am discretizing this differential operator on the interval (0,R), the method I use assumes that ψ(0)=ψ(R)=0, which is not the boundary condition I want. How do I implement the one I want (that the eigenfunction is zero on the boundary of the circular disk)?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does you radial equation contain a 'typo'? Should it not be
    [tex] \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial r ^2} + \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial r} = E \psi ? [/tex]
    Your original equation ##\nabla^2 \Psi = E \Psi## has no ##m^2/r^2## term anywhere in it, so this should not magically appear just by switching to polar coordinates.

Anyway, you need ##\partial \Psi (r) / \partial r \to 0## as ##r \to 0+## in order prevent the term ##(1/r) \partial \Psi / \partial r## from blowing up near the origin.

Finally, if the method you use assumes the wrong boundary conditions, change the method!

By the way: your problem is a so-called "two-point boundary-value problem", and such problems are usually harder to deal with than standard boundary-value problems. Google 'two-point boundary value problems' to see what is available for numerical solutions, etc.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted