1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite product of complex terms

1. Sep 12, 2006 #1
    Can one hint me towards finding a general formula for

[tex]
    P_n = \prod_{x=0}^{n} \left( \sqrt{x} + i\right)
    [/tex]

I need a direction because now i'm stuck with it after having struggled to formulate it.

Either the real or imaginary part would be enough but i guess i won't get one without the other. I'm working out now the term to renorm the result, i'll post it asap, it's nothing complicated.

This current formulation I made up for a geometrical problem i have :).
    It is to evaluate exactly a spiral that interpolates a sequence of vertices in orthogonal triangles that you would stitch together (by hypothenuse to the variable length side of the next). I can make a drawing if necessary.

I need to sum up angles for each triangle to get a polar coordinate of the n-th vertex. Hopefully evaluable through a simple continuous function to get the in-betweens aswell.

I started with trying to work in log space but what i naturally get is a sum of arc-cosinuses that i can't find an interpolating function for...

Thanks for any hint :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2006 #2
    I guess you should use letters of the smaller case, i.e. [tex], and not [TEX], for the LATEX to be displayed.

4. Sep 12, 2006 #3
    yes i thought so, i changed it, crossing fingers :)
    in case it doesn't like me, it's : P(n) equals product for x=0 to n of (sqrt(x)+i)

5. Nov 11, 2007 #4
    Well, by now I still haven't solved this problem but I found it's called the Spiral of Theodorus and there is no simple closed form solution althought the problem looks so simple :).
    In addition, the solutions are converging series that, well... converge very very slowly.
    So, I'm gonna use a table of sampled values for my function and that's gonna be all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?