1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite subgroups of unique orders are normal

1. Nov 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a finite group and H a subgroup of G having order m. Show that if H is the only subgroup of order m in G, then H is normal in G.

2. Relevant equations
    A subgroup [itex]H[/itex] of [itex]G[/itex] is normal in [itex]G[/itex] if and only if [itex]xHx^{-1} \subseteq H \forall x \in G[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Suppose that H is the only subgroup of order m. Then elements in G\H cannot have order m.

If [itex]x \in H[/itex] then clearly, [itex]xHx^{-1} \subseteq H[/itex]

If [itex]x \notin H[/itex] that is, [itex]x \in G \backslash H[/itex] so [itex]|x| \neq m[/itex] then ...

This is where I'm not seeing anything. Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is xHx^(-1) a subgroup? How many elements does it have?

4. Nov 15, 2009 #3
    Since H is a subgroup of order m, xHx^(-1) will be a subgroup of order m. Since H is the only subgroup of order m there will be no other subgroup such that xKx^(-1) is of order m. Therefore, xHx^(-1) = H.

I think that's it, but I can't connect the dots to the last statement.

5. Nov 15, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see the problem. If xHx^(-1) is a subgroup of order m, and H is the ONLY subgroup of order m, then xHx^(-1) must be the same subgroup as H. What's K got to do with it?

6. Nov 15, 2009 #5
    Oh wow, I swear I miss the most obvious things. Thanks for your help again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook