1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First and second order partial derivatives

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    Hello,

I was wondering if I could get some help with a question I have.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We are asked to find the first and second order partial derivatives of

f(x,y) = x^2 - y^2 - 4x^2/(y - 1)^2 (sorry, I dont know how to write this in latex).

I am not really sure how to get started with this, so any help at all would be fantastic.

Thanks

Sean Feely

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2
    Just calculate the derivatives in respect to one variable while treating the other variable as if it was a constant. Do this for both variables in different orders and you should get 6 derivatives (2 of the 1st order and 4 of the 2nd order) although two of them will be the same.

4. May 10, 2009 #3

djeitnstine

Gold Member

First and second order partial derivatives with respect to which variable? Both?

5. May 10, 2009 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You are being asked to find [tex]\frac{{\partial f(x,y)}}{{\partial x}},\frac{{\partial f(x,y)}}{y},\frac{{\partial ^2 f(x,y)}}{{\partial x^2 }},\frac{{\partial ^2 f(x,y)}}{{\partial y^2 }}[/tex] and possibly the mixed partial derivative, [tex]\frac{{\partial f(x,y)}}{{\partial x\partial y}}[/tex].

Let's say you have a function [tex]f(x,y) = 3x + 2y + 6xy[/tex]. To find the first partial with respect to x, that is [tex]\frac{{\partial f(x,y)}}{{\partial x}}[/tex], you simply pretend y is a constant. Thus, you find the partial with respect to x is [tex]\frac{{\partial f(x,y)}}{{\partial x}} = 3 + 6y[/tex]. Since y is constant, 2y is a constant with respect to x, and thus it goes away when you differentiate with respect to x. The second derivative from there is obviously 0 since the derivative of 3 is 0 and the derivative of 3y is 0 because y is a constant just like the number 3. When you take partials with respect to y, you do the same thing except with x as constant. The first derivative with respect to y would be 2 + 6x and again, the second derivative would be 0.

The mixed partial is a bit different as you switch the order. Either way is fine but you can first take the derivative with respect to x which gives you 3 + 6y. Then you have to take the derivative of y, and since y is no longer a constant, you see that the mixed partial is simply equal to 6. It actually does not matter which way you take your mixed partials, x first y second, y first x second in most cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook