How Do You Solve the Differential Equation kxy = (y+dx)(x+dy)?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving solving differential equations of a certain type, where k is a constant. The equation is multiplied out and regrouped, leaving a term that the person is unsure how to handle. They ask if they can hold one of the variables constant and integrate the other, but are unable to find a transformation to remove the problematic term. They also mention confusion about the term "integration without respect to a particular differential" and inquire about how to solve the differential equation. However, it is noted that there may be an error in the initial equation as "dx" and "dy" should not be mixed in this manner.
r16
I have run into this problem solving differential equations of this type (they occur often doing momentum problems):

[tex] kxy = (y+dx)(x+dy) [/tex]

where [itex]k[/itex] is constant. I multiply it out to :

[tex] kxy= xy + xdx + ydy + dydx [/tex]

Regroup and :

[tex] \int {kxy} = \int {xdx} + \int {ydy} + \int {dydx} [/itex]

I'm left with the term [itex] \int dxdy [/itex] that I don't know what to do with. Am I able to hold either the [itex]dx[/itex] or [itex]dy[/itex] constant and integrate with respect to the other? I am not able to find a transformation that will remove the [itex]dydx[/itex] or [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] or [itex] \frac{dx}{dy} [/itex]. I am also confused about the term [itex] \int kxy [/itex]: integration without respect to a particular differential. How would I solve this differential equation?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There something wrong with your equation. You can't have "dx" and "dy" mixed like that. If you are dealing with "differentials" dx and dy, it might make sense (but it would just say kxy= xy) but it is certainly not a differential equation.

It looks like you have made good progress in trying to solve this differential equation. The first step, as you have done, is to expand and regroup the terms. However, it seems like you may have made a mistake in your integration steps. Let's take a closer look at your work:

kxy = xy + xdx + ydy + dydx

Next, you integrated each term separately, which gave you:

[tex] \int {kxy} = \int {xy} + \int {xdx} + \int {ydy} + \int {dydx} [/itex]

But the problem is with the last term, [tex] \int {dydx} [/itex]. This is not a valid integral because it contains both dx and dy. Remember, when we integrate with respect to a variable, we treat all other variables as constant. So in this case, we would have:

[tex] \int {dydx} = y + C [/itex]

where C is a constant. This does not help us solve the differential equation.

One possible approach to solving this differential equation is to use the method of separation of variables. This involves separating the variables (in this case, x and y) onto opposite sides of the equation and then integrating both sides separately. This would give us:

[tex] \int {\frac{k}{x+dx}} dx = \int {\frac{1}{y+dy}} dy [/itex]

To solve this, we would need to find a way to simplify the fractions on both sides. It may be helpful to use a substitution, such as u = x+dx and v = y+dy. This would give us:

[tex] \int {\frac{k}{u}} du = \int {\frac{1}{v}} dv [/itex]

Now we can integrate both sides and solve for u and v, which will give us the solution for x and y. Remember to include the constant of integration when integrating both sides.

Another possible approach is to use a substitution to convert the equation into a separable form. For example, we could let u = xy, which would give us:

[tex] \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{y+dx}{x+dy} [/itex]

This is now a separable differential equation, which can be solved using the method of separation of variables.

In summary, solving

Related to How Do You Solve the Differential Equation kxy = (y+dx)(x+dy)?

What is a first-order differential equation?

A first-order differential equation is an equation that involves a function and its derivative. It is a mathematical tool used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

What is the general form of a first-order differential equation?

The general form of a first-order differential equation is dy/dx = f(x,y), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and f(x,y) is a function that relates the two variables.

How do you solve a first-order differential equation?

There are various methods for solving a first-order differential equation, including separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial conditions given.

What is the significance of first-order differential equations in science?

First-order differential equations are used in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering, to model and understand various natural phenomena. They are also important in the development of mathematical models for predicting and analyzing real-world systems.

Can first-order differential equations be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, first-order differential equations are commonly used to model and solve real-world problems, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and electrical circuits. They are a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of natural and man-made systems.