Fiting a surface of best fit to a set of data points

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Woland
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Hello all,

I am trying to fit a surface to a 1920x1080 grid of evenly spaced data points. The values are supposed to be more or less uniform (its an image of a uniform white light source). So I would like to fit a plane to it (but maybe a paraboloid if it is not quiete uniform). What method should I use? A least squares approach? I can't seem to find much on google for this. Does anyone have an approach, or perhaps could recommend some literature which covers this?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to figure it out . The usual least squares method applies to this. I fit z = Ax + By + C by creating a matrix of sums etc etc. It worked out nicely for the 3D case, same as for the 2D.

Thank you,