1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flip dx/dy according to chain rule

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1
    Hi

I've just been reading something which is essentially how to work out what the deriviative of y=b^x is.

Basically the explanation gets to the point which I understand and says

[tex]\frac{dx}{dy} = \frac{1}{yln(b)}[/tex]

It then says because of the chain rule you can simply flip this to get

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = yln(b)[/tex]

I have used the chain rule and thought I understood it but perhaps I don't because I don't see how the chain rule lets you do the 'flip' just described.

Any comments greatly welcomed

Kind regards

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Moogie! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

If y is a function of x, and x is a function of t, then of course the chain rule gives

dy/dt = dy/dx dx/dt​

Now put y = t … then we get

1 = dy/dy = dy/dx dx/dy :wink:

4. Jun 12, 2010 #3
    Hi

Thanks for your reply but I don't understand how that answers my question.

I think you are trying to show me that dy/dx * dx/dy = 1 but I don't understand why (my limitation, not your explanation).

Could you try and explain it again from a different perspective? I didn't get the y=t thing. I can see how the 'symbols' make sense but I have no understanding or intuition of whats going on behind the symbols and thats more important to me.

thank you

5. Jun 12, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If the product of two expressions is 1, the expressions are reciprocals of each other.

In tiny-tim's work, if y = t, then dy/dt = 1.

6. Jun 13, 2010 #5
    Hi

I understand that if the product of 2 expressions is 1 then they are reciprocals. I failed to understand where the chain rule came into it. How does the chain rule tell me that dy/dx * dx/dy = 1?

I was hoping someone might be able to explain it to me from a different perspective (unless it is that simple that there isn't another perspective)

7. Jun 13, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Moogie! :smile:

I don't think there is any different perspective

Do you accept that dy/dt = dy/dx dx/dt comes from the chain rule?

If so, the result does come from putting t = y.

8. Jun 13, 2010 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then, what, exactly, do you understand as the "chain rule"?

9. Jun 13, 2010 #8
    Hi Tiny Tim

I do see that dy/dt = dy/dx dx/dt from the chain rule. Perhaps I am missing what it is you are doing when you set t = y

thanks

10. Jun 13, 2010 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Say you have a function y=f(x) and it has an inverse x=g(y). Then dy/dx=f'(x) and dx/dy=g'(y). Because f and g are inverses, you have x=g(f(x)). If you differentiate this, you get, using the chain rule,

[tex]x=g(f(x)) \hspace{0.3in} \Rightarrow \hspace{0.3in} 1=g'(f(x))f'(x)=g'(y)f'(x)=\frac{dx}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

11. Jun 14, 2010 #10
    The explanation with inverses made more sense to me. But now I'm thinking perhaps I don't understand the chain rule after all.

When you go from x= g(f(x)) => 1 = g'(f(x))f'(x)

are you differentiating both sides wrt x? I'm not that familiar with the g/f version of the chain rule though I have seen it. Only in american books though. The UK doesn't seem to know about it!

I think maybe I'm getting confused because I'm so used to seeing y is a function f of x, and not x as a function of anything.

12. Jun 14, 2010 #11

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, both sides are differentiated with respect to x. It might be a little clearer to start with x=g(y), then when you differentiate, you get

[tex]1 = \frac{dg}{dy} \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

which is the form of the chain rule you're familiar with. Then since g is just x, you get

[tex]1 = \frac{dx}{dy} \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

13. Jun 14, 2010 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, that's because the Brit's don't like to admit Leibniz had anything to do with Calculus and only use Newton's notation! :biggrin::devil:

Newton's notation: f'(x).
    Leibniz' notation: df/dx.

While the derivative is NOT a fraction, it is the limit of a fraction so it has "fraction properties"- Leibniz' notation allows you to think of it as a fraction. In particular, the chain rule becomes
    [tex]\frac{df}{dx}= \frac{df}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
    where y is any function of x- it looks like we are just cancelling the "dy"s.

Also if y= f(x) and, inverting, x= g(y), then
    [tex]\frac{dx}{dy}= \frac{dg}{dy}= \frac{1}{\frac{df}{dx}}= \frac{1}{\frac{dy}{dx}}[/tex]
    just "inverting the fraction" (with the understanding, again, that the derivative isn't really a "fraction", it can just be treated like one!).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook