Florida Insititute of Technology Chemical Engineering

In summary: You'll need to talk to the departmental advisor to get a list of recommended classes. You'll also want to take a Chem E prep course if you're not already familiar with the material.
Andresx90
I'm about 70% certain of going to this university in order to do my chemical engineering course. Is there anyone who's been to the university, or knows anyone who has been and can tell me what the institution is like, how much work they had to do to get through and any other things which might be useful to me.

I'm also awaiting acceptance from the University of Dayton, Virginia Tech and Drexel University although I'm not sure if I'll be accepted to the latter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Andresx90 said:
I'm about 70% certain of going to this university in order to do my chemical engineering course. Is there anyone who's been to the university, or knows anyone who has been and can tell me what the institution is like, how much work they had to do to get through and any other things which might be useful to me.

I graduated from Florida Tech in the physics & space sciences department. It's a tech school, specializing in engineering and science. It is not a school for those who aren't serious about studying.

Chem E is one of, if not THE hardest major at Florida Tech (from what I've heard from friends who have majored in it), so you will be very challenged. Be prepared to work your butt off.

Random piece of advice: See a space shuttle launch! They're incredible.

Edited to add: I just spoke with my boyfriend (Mech E and space systems), and he agrees that Chem E is the hardest major.

Last edited:
Thanks. Any idea what sort of courses I would need to take at least in my first year?

Andresx90 said:
Thanks. Any idea what sort of courses I would need to take at least in my first year?

Check out http://www.fit.edu/catalog/2008-2009/catalog.pdf [Broken], page 62.

Basic calculus, Intro to Chem E 1 & 2, basic physics, core English classes, etc. Keep in mind that you can take some classes out-of-order.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Florida Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering program?

The Florida Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering program is a rigorous and comprehensive undergraduate degree program that prepares students for careers in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, energy, and materials. Students will learn the fundamentals of chemical engineering, including thermodynamics, transport phenomena, and process design, as well as gain hands-on experience through laboratory experiments and industry internships.

2. What sets the Florida Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering program apart from other programs?

The Florida Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering program offers small class sizes, personalized attention from faculty, and state-of-the-art facilities, including a fully equipped chemical engineering laboratory. Additionally, the program has a strong focus on practical applications and hands-on learning, giving students a competitive edge in the job market.

3. Can students pursue research opportunities in the Florida Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering program?

Yes, students in the Florida Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering program have the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research projects alongside faculty. These research opportunities allow students to apply their knowledge to real-world problems and gain valuable experience in their field of interest.

4. What career options are available to graduates of the Florida Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering program?

Graduates of the Florida Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering program are prepared for a wide range of careers in industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy, materials, and environmental engineering. They may also choose to pursue advanced degrees in chemical engineering or related fields.

5. Is the Florida Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering program accredited?

Yes, the Florida Institute of Technology Chemical Engineering program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, ensuring that the program meets the highest standards of quality and rigor in engineering education. This accreditation also allows graduates to pursue professional engineering licensure after gaining the required experience.