1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Florida Insititute of Technology Chemical Engineering

1. Mar 6, 2008 #1
    I'm about 70% certain of going to this university in order to do my chemical engineering course. Is there anyone who's been to the university, or knows anyone who has been and can tell me what the institution is like, how much work they had to do to get through and any other things which might be useful to me.

I'm also awaiting acceptance from the University of Dayton, Virginia Tech and Drexel University although I'm not sure if I'll be accepted to the latter.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2008 #2
    I graduated from Florida Tech in the physics & space sciences department. It's a tech school, specializing in engineering and science. It is not a school for those who aren't serious about studying.

Chem E is one of, if not THE hardest major at Florida Tech (from what I've heard from friends who have majored in it), so you will be very challenged. Be prepared to work your butt off.

Random piece of advice: See a space shuttle launch! They're incredible.

Edited to add: I just spoke with my boyfriend (Mech E and space systems), and he agrees that Chem E is the hardest major.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  4. Mar 8, 2008 #3
    Thanks. Any idea what sort of courses I would need to take at least in my first year?

5. Mar 8, 2008 #4
    Check out http://www.fit.edu/catalog/2008-2009/catalog.pdf, page 62.

Basic calculus, Intro to Chem E 1 & 2, basic physics, core English classes, etc. Keep in mind that you can take some classes out-of-order.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?