Chemical or Electrical engineering

In summary, the speaker is a chemical engineering student who is considering switching to electrical engineering due to concerns about job prospects in the field. They note that many chemical engineers are struggling to find jobs, but also mention that other types of engineers are facing similar challenges. The speaker suggests choosing the field that aligns with personal interests and taking advantage of any opportunities for internships or co-ops. They also advise being open to relocating for job opportunities. The speaker ends with a lighthearted joke about the superiority of electrical engineering.
Piero
hi guys, i am in a bad situation and i need some tips :( i attend the first year of chemical engineering, but i have doubts about my choice... My university gives me the way to change my course in electrical engineering, and i am thinking to change. I'm not sure that chemical engineering is a good degree in this period, i have read about too much chemical engineers who are finding hard to get hired, chemistry today is weak and also chemical companies. So, how is electrical engineering in the job market in this period? Should i have more chance with Chemical or Electrical engineering about finding a job?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the job prospects for both are about the same.
Where I am most chemical engineers work as process engineers in Oil and Gas. So they are having a really hard time lately. But that being said a lot of electrical, mechanical and any other type engineers are having a hard time as well.

For you however you're 4 years away from graduating so its hard to tell what will or will not be in demand.
Take what you think you'll enjoy more. Take COOP if your school offers it (most of the people I graduated with got jobs either with companies they did coops with)
And don't be afraid to move where the jobs are. The people I know who are still looking for a job (over a year now) have only been looking near to where they lived originally which is fine, except there are no engineering jobs there.

Hope that helps

oh and PS Fun fact there are only 2 types of engineers. Electrical and those who weren't smart enough to be electrical :D

What is the difference between chemical and electrical engineering?

Chemical engineering focuses on the application of chemistry and physics to design and develop processes and products, while electrical engineering involves the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism.

What are the career opportunities in chemical and electrical engineering?

Chemical engineers can work in a variety of industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, oil and gas, and environmental protection. Electrical engineers have opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and consumer electronics.

What skills are needed to be successful in chemical and electrical engineering?

Both fields require strong problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and attention to detail. Chemical engineers should have a strong understanding of chemistry and be able to work with complex mathematical equations. Electrical engineers should have a solid understanding of circuits and computer programming.

Is a degree in chemical or electrical engineering necessary for a career in these fields?

While a degree in engineering is not always required, it is highly recommended as the coursework provides a strong foundation in the principles and practices of the field. Many employers also prefer candidates with a degree in engineering.

What are the current advancements and challenges in chemical and electrical engineering?

Advancements in chemical and electrical engineering include the development of sustainable and renewable energy sources, advancements in materials science, and the use of technology in process optimization. Challenges include addressing environmental concerns and keeping up with rapid technological advancements.