Flow in a pipe with a tank on its top, and a nozzle on its bottom

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
ecm00
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have a tank filled with water on the top of a pipe (height of water = h)
there's a hole in the bottom of the tank, so that when the hole is suddenly opened, water will flow in the pipe of length 20 meters
at the bottom of the pipe, there's a nozzle (I don't know how to choose the right nozzle diameter in order not to restrict water flow, and to increase water speed)
the jet from the nozzle will hit a pelton turbine of 20 cm diameter

I want to get about 1000 rpm from the turbine. How can I choose the height of water in the tank and the nozzle diameter? Is 1000 rpm achievable?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ecm00 said:
at the bottom of the pipe, there's a nozzle (I don't know how to choose the right nozzle diameter in order not to restrict water flow, and to increase water speed)

any sort of nozzle is going to restrict the flow, can't be any other way that I can see. The least restriction is when the outlet diameter of the pipe is unchanged

Dave
 
thx!
so how should I choose the diameter of my nozzle? how to reach 1000 rpm?
 
ecm00 said:
thx!
so how should I choose the diameter of my nozzle? how to reach 1000 rpm?

Thats beyond my knowledge, I don't know if it can be done or not.

D
 
That depends on the spec of your turbine, whatever it's attached to, and the "h" of your tank.