Question about lifting water through a water pipe

In summary, the speaker is a peace corps volunteer in Nepal trying to implement drip irrigation for their school garden. They are facing challenges with the water pressure from a tap and are considering using Bernoulli's principle and a smaller pipe to increase the height the water can be lifted. They also mention a project involving teaching students about potential energy and receiving a video from astronauts to answer their questions. They then ask for thoughts on their proposed solution and apologize for any duplicate posts.
ConnorJohn
Hello!
First post, hope you all can help me out. I’m a peace corps volunteer in Nepal and am trying to implement drip irrigation for my school garden, since this season, we get water for about 30 minutes in the morning through a tap that is “always open.” The water that comes has some pressure, or else I’d have given up a while back since the water must be lifted to the top of the plastic.. (jeeze, I forgot the name in English...)... to the top of the plastic... TANK. There it is. Batta in Nepali. (May be forgetting English but at least I am using metric...)
However- to my dismay, the required lift is too high for the water pressure(flow? What is correct to say there?) coming from the tap this time of year.

1. Here is my thought- Bernoulli’s principle states that in a horizontal pipe, as water velocity increases, pressure decreases. (Right? I want study to be an ecological engineer after service- better have that right!)
But what about in a vertical pipe? I mean, if when the pipe is vertical in my system, I switch it out with a smaller pipe(using the oddest looking connector pieces available in my bazaar), would the water be able to be lifted higher? The velocity wouldn’t increase but the diameter of the pipe would decrease.. At the expense of the flow, I assumed it would- and don’t mind the loss of water per time unit- to a degree. Is this worth a try? Or should I revert to lowering the tank in spite of wanting as much PE as possible for the drip irrigation system.

I’ve decided to take this garden and within it talk about the science of gardening and ag tools like drip irrigation and plastic tunnels. These kids are so darn smart! Easily understanding potential energy(why should we raise the tank?), etc. I actually sent some of their questions to the ISS to be answered by a returned PCV who is working up there. It was a fun project.. received a video of two astronauts from Peace Corps! Anyway, if you could help me out here- I would greatly appreciate it. Plus you’d be apart of my service.. that’s kind of special! If I can manage to get this photo uploaded, you might be able to see why I’m looking for DI. Ironically, this project took a few months extra time to get the materials, after about a month it will be monsoon season- and we will be burdened with too much water in Nepal. HA. Life is beautiful.

2. If a pipe’s height first decreases 3m, then rises 4m- would the output be the same as it just increasing 1m through a pipe of the same size? If at the lowest point I use a smaller pipe as I rises- how light that affect the output? Flow and velocity would certainly be restricted, does that mean pressure would increase?

Thank you so much and I hope to hear some ideas ASAP!
ConnorJohn
nP1pKc

Physics news on Phys.org
I can’t figure out how to edit the thread title, sorry. Defiently no waterbeds here..

ConnorJohn said:
I can’t figure out how to edit the thread title, sorry. Defiently no waterbeds here..

I used magic moderator powers to edit it.

PeterDonis said:
I used magic moderator powers to edit it.

Thanks! I accidently posted this twice, too, again in the engineering section. Internet can be funny here. I’m becoming somewhat of a “batmaas.” (That’s nincompoop in Nepali). My apologies.

Likes berkeman

1. How does water flow through a water pipe?

Water flows through a pipe due to the pressure difference between the source and the destination. The source provides the pressure, while the destination, usually a faucet or sprinkler, releases the pressure. The water moves through the pipe until it reaches the destination.

2. How do you calculate the pressure needed to lift water through a pipe?

The pressure required to lift water through a pipe can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the velocity, elevation, and density of the water. It also considers any losses due to friction in the pipe. The formula is P1 + ρgh1 + 1/2ρv1^2 = P2 + ρgh2 + 1/2ρv2^2, where P is pressure, ρ is density, g is acceleration due to gravity, h is elevation, and v is velocity.

3. What factors affect the flow rate of water through a pipe?

The flow rate of water through a pipe can be affected by several factors, such as the diameter of the pipe, the length of the pipe, the pressure difference between the source and destination, and any obstructions or bends in the pipe. Additionally, the viscosity and temperature of the water can also impact the flow rate.

4. Can the type of material used for a water pipe affect its lifting ability?

Yes, the type of material used for a water pipe can affect its lifting ability. For example, a smoother and wider pipe made of materials like PVC or copper may allow for faster and more efficient water flow, while a rougher and narrower pipe made of materials like galvanized steel may create more friction and reduce the lifting ability of the water.

5. How can you increase the lifting ability of a water pipe?

The lifting ability of a water pipe can be increased by increasing the pressure difference between the source and destination, reducing any obstructions or bends in the pipe, and using a smoother and wider pipe made of materials that reduce friction. Additionally, increasing the diameter of the pipe can also improve the lifting ability of the water.