1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow Mapping Theorem and Obstacles

1. Sep 6, 2007 #1
    Hi All

I have one final question thats related to flow problems with obstacles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am finding fluid flows extremely difficult.

q2cb.JPG

"Examinations are formidable even to the best prepared, for
    the greatest fool may ask more than the wisest man can answer".
    Charles Caleb Colton, 1825

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2
    Hi All

Think Ive cracked part (i) and (ii). However, I'm stuch on part (iii). I think I need to use the Inverse Function Rule somehow to get the function stated but when I do, it doesnt give the answer. Can someone please help? The inverse function rule states that f (z)'=1/1-1/(f(z))^2.

Dont know if it will help but for part (ii) I got z+(4/z)-(16/z^3)....

Please please help....

4. Sep 7, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is something missing! You say "let [itex]J_{2i} be the function with [itex]\alpha= 2i[/itex]". I presume that somewhere earlier they defined another function [itex]J_{\alpha}[/itex] but you don't include that information.

5. Sep 7, 2007 #4
    The function you specift is given by the following formula:

Jalpha=w+(alpha)^2/w.

Hence j2i=3+4/3 and j2i = 3-4/3. Substituting this into the standard equation of an ellipse for a^2 and b^2 and rearranging gives the required formula. Does this help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?