Flow on the surface of a cylinder

In summary, the problem involves an infinite cylinder moving at a constant velocity in a stationary background flow. The velocity potential in cylindrical polar coordinates is given and the task is to find the velocity field and prove the relevant boundary condition for the background flow. The solution involves using the gradient of the velocity potential to find the velocity field and proving the irrotationality of the flow to show the relevant boundary condition. The velocity of the cylinder can then be found using the boundary condition.
Matt atkinson

Homework Statement

An infinite cylinder is moving at constant velocity [tex] \vec{U} [/tex] in a stationary background flow. On the surface of the sphere no fluid penetrates, so that [tex] \vec{U} \cdot \vec{n} = \vec{u} \cdot \vec{n} [/tex]. Where [tex] \vec{n} [/tex] is the vector normal to the surface of the cylinder. At the instant the axis of the cylinder coincides with the origin, the velocity potential in cylindrical polar coordinates is given by;
[tex] \phi=-\frac{U a^2 cos(\theta)}{r} [/tex]
where a is the radius of the cylinder.
i) find the velocity field [tex] \vec{u} [/tex]
ii) prove the relavent boundry condition for the background flow.
iii) Find [tex] \vec{U} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i) basical it is grad [tex] \phi [/tex] I got [tex] \vec{u} =\frac{U a^2 cos(\theta)}{r^2} \vec{r}+\frac{U a^2 sin(\theta)}{r^2} \vec{\theta} [/tex]
ii) not sure what boundry i tried solving U dot n = u dot n
with n as r_hat, but didnt get anywhere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
for ii) I proved that [tex] \nabla \times \vec{u} = 0 [/tex] which shows its irrotational but I am not positive if that's the correct thing to do

1. What is the flow on the surface of a cylinder?

The flow on the surface of a cylinder refers to the movement of a fluid, such as air or water, over a cylindrical object. This can be observed in various scenarios, such as air flowing over an airplane wing or water flowing over a submarine's hull.

2. What factors affect the flow on the surface of a cylinder?

The flow on the surface of a cylinder can be affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the cylinder, the speed and viscosity of the fluid, and the presence of any external forces or turbulence. The surface roughness of the cylinder can also play a role in the flow.

3. How is the flow on the surface of a cylinder measured?

The flow on the surface of a cylinder can be measured using various techniques, such as pressure sensors, flow visualization methods, and mathematical modeling. These methods help to determine the velocity, pressure, and other characteristics of the flow.

4. What is the significance of studying the flow on the surface of a cylinder?

Studying the flow on the surface of a cylinder is important in various fields, including aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and engineering. It helps to understand the behavior of fluids and their interactions with solid objects, which is crucial in designing efficient and safe structures.

5. How can the flow on the surface of a cylinder be controlled?

The flow on the surface of a cylinder can be controlled through various methods, such as changing the shape or surface roughness of the cylinder, altering the flow speed or direction, and using external devices such as fins or vortex generators. These techniques can help to improve the performance and stability of objects in fluid environments.