1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Fluid Boundary Layer Mathy Question

1. Oct 13, 2016 #1

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Hi PF!

So after scaling Navier-Stokes for a flow over a flat plate we ultimately arrive at ##f f'' + f''' = 0## subject to ##f(0)=0##, ##f'(0)=0##, and ##f'(\infty) = 1## where independent variable is ##\eta##. The source I was reading is trying to reduce this BVP to an IVP. Thus they suggest for some solution ##F(\eta)##, ##CF(C \eta)## also is a solution. Then we have $$1 = \lim_{\eta \to \infty} f'(\eta) = C^2 \lim_{\eta \to \infty} F'(C \eta) \implies C = \left( \lim_{\eta \to \infty} F'(\eta) \right)^{-1/2}$$. But this is where it get's strange. They then say "if we specify ##F''(0) = 1##... but how can they do this? We know ##f''(0) = C^3 F''(0) \implies F''(0) = f''(0) C^{-3}## but ##C## has already been specified.

The link to this is here: http://web.mit.edu/fluids-modules/www/highspeed_flows/ver2/bl_Chap2.pdf around eq. (3.48)

Any help at understanding this would be awesome!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2016 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Let [itex]f[/itex] be the solution of the BVP [itex]ff'' + f''' = 0[/itex] with [itex]f(0) = f'(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]f'(\infty) = 1[/itex].

Now for each [itex]C > 0[/itex] define a function [itex]g_C(\eta) = Cf(C\eta)[/itex]. Then [itex]g_C[/itex] is the solution of the BVP [itex]g_Cg_C'' + g_C''' = 0[/itex] with [itex]g_C(0) = g_C'(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]g_C'(\infty) = C^2[/itex]. (This is not the original BVP unless [itex]C = 1[/itex], and by definition [itex]g_1 = f[/itex] anyway.)

Consider the IVP [itex]hh'' + h''' = 0[/itex] subject to [itex]h(0) = h'(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]h''(0) = 1[/itex]. Knowing [itex]h[/itex] we can find [itex]f[/itex], because [itex]h = g_C[/itex] where [itex]C^2 = L = \lim_{x \to \infty} h'(x)[/itex] (assuming, of course, that this limit exists). Hence by definition of [itex]g_C[/itex] we have [tex]f(\eta) = C^{-1}g_C(C^{-1}\eta) = L^{-1/2}h(L^{-1/2}\eta).[/tex]

4. Oct 13, 2016 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

Gotcha, I think this is making sense! I have a corollary question then, though I can post as a separate thread if that's more appropriate. I am trying to transform this equation to transform this BVP ##y'' + 6 y^{2/3} = 0## subject to ##y'(0)=0## and ##y(1)=0## into an IVP so I can numerically solve it. Right not when I use NDsolve in mathematica I get no output. Any insight on when this transformation is possible, and when it is, how to go about doing it?

I noticed the BVP is invariant when ##y(x) = \lambda^n Y(\lambda^{-n/6} x)##. I'm just unsure how to proceed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted