Fluid separation in boundary layer

In summary, the condition for a fluid to separate from a surface is that the shear stress at the surface is zero. The condition is not taken at the wall, necessarily. It is usually used to discuss the conditions under which separation can occur.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi PF,

I'm trying to derive the Prandlt condition (not sure if it is Prandlt's work tough) for a fluid to separate from a surface in the boundary layer. The equation should be:

##\frac {\partial^2 v_x} {\partial y^2} = 0##

which is quite "intuitive" to me.

To derive it let's start from the simplified version of NS equations: the boundary layer equation derived under Prandlt's assumpions

##v_x \frac {\partial v_x} {\partial x} + v_y \frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} = \nu \frac {\partial^2 v_x} {\partial y^2} + \frac 1 {\rho} \frac {dp} {dx}##

and the continuity equation

##\frac {\partial v_x} {\partial x} + \frac {\partial v_y} {\partial y} = 0##

Now, I found on my professor's notes that (hope my translation will be good enough):

The point of separation indicates the transition (near the surface) between different currents flowing in opposite directions, thus ##\frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} |_{y=0} = 0##

I can't understand why ##\frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} |_{y=0} = 0##. Does someone have a clue?If a sketch is need I found this picture online:
jukfhthfjyguhkhfgjhgvjhvghjghjghjghjghjgjhgjh.png

Attachments

• jukfhthfjyguhkhfgjhgvjhvghjghjghjghjghjgjhgjh.png
    jukfhthfjyguhkhfgjhgvjhvghjghjghjghjghjgjhgjh.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org
Flow separation occurs where shear stress vanishes on the surface. Look at the definition of shear stress.

mfig said:
occurs where shear stress vanishes on the surface

Why?

Where separation occurs, the flow along the surface reverses direction, as your image shows. So the shear stress acts in the ##x^+## direction on one side and in the ##x^-## direction on the other side of the separation point, leaving a zero value right at the separation point.

Likes dRic2
I have two questions now:

1) Since, as you said, shear stress vanishes when separation occurs, ##\frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} |_{y=0} = 0## is wrong. I don't need to evaluate the derivate in ##y=0##, but I need, instead, ##\frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} |_{y=p} = 0## (where ##p## is the point of separation), right? But then ##p## should be a max or a min for ##v_x## and this doesn't seem right compared to the image.

2) So (let's take question one for answered) where separation takes place I have both ##\frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} |_{y=p} = 0## and ##\frac {\partial^2 v_x} {\partial y^2} |_{y=p} = 0##. This means ##p## is a stationary point. But it doesn't look that way in the figure...

dRic2 said:
1) Since, as you said, shear stress vanishes when separation occurs, ##\frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} |_{y=0} = 0## is wrong. I don't need to evaluate the derivate in ##y=0##, but I need, instead, ##\frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} |_{y=p} = 0## (where ##p## is the point of separation), right? But then ##p## should be a max or a min for ##v_x## and this doesn't seem right compared to the image.

It's not wrong. For a Newtonian fluid, shear stress at the wall is
[tex]\tau_{w} = \mu\left(\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial y}\right)_{y=0}.[/tex]
If ##\tau_w## goes to zero, then the boundary layer separates. This is only at the wall. The separation point is a specific coordinate in ##x## where separation occurs, not a coordinate in ##y##. So the point ##x=p## would be defined as the location where ##\tau_w = 0##.

dRic2 said:
2) So (let's take question one for answered) where separation takes place I have both ##\frac {\partial v_x} {\partial y} |_{y=p} = 0## and ##\frac {\partial^2 v_x} {\partial y^2} |_{y=p} = 0##. This means ##p## is a stationary point. But it doesn't look that way in the figure...

The condition of
[tex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2} = 0[/tex]
is not taken at the wall, necessarily. That only has to be true at some point in the boundary layer for separation to occur. Usually it is used to discuss the conditions under which separation can occur. For example, if you look at the boundary-layer equation and simplify it near the wall, you get
[tex]\mu\left(\dfrac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}\right)_{y=0} = \dfrac{dp}{dx}.[/tex]
In other words, the curvature of the velocity profile near the wall is proportional to the streamwise pressure gradient. If the pressure gradient is favorable (##dp/dx < 0##) then the curvature is negative everywhere in the boundary layer. If the pressure gradient is adverse (##dp/dx > 0##) then the curvature is positive near the wall (a requirement for ##\tau_w = 0##) but still negative near the edge, so there must be an inflection point at some ##y## location above the wall where ##\partial^2 u/\partial y = 0##.

Likes dRic2
Okay I finally got it, thank you! I think I got confused because my professor didn't specify where the derivate is evaluated...

1. What is fluid separation in boundary layer?

Fluid separation in boundary layer is when a fluid (such as air or water) separates from a surface due to changes in flow direction or velocity. This results in the formation of a boundary layer, where the fluid flow near the surface is significantly slower than the free stream flow.

2. What causes fluid separation in boundary layer?

Fluid separation in boundary layer is caused by various factors, including changes in surface curvature, adverse pressure gradient, and flow separation due to flow separation bubbles or separation vortices. These factors can disrupt the smooth flow of the fluid, leading to separation.

3. How does fluid separation affect the overall flow?

Fluid separation can have a significant impact on the overall flow of a fluid. It can increase drag and reduce lift, leading to decreased efficiency and performance. In some cases, it can also cause instability and turbulence in the flow, which can further affect the overall behavior of the fluid.

4. Can fluid separation be prevented?

While fluid separation in boundary layer is a natural phenomenon, it can be minimized or prevented through various methods. These include using streamlined shapes, reducing surface roughness, and adjusting the flow velocity or pressure gradient to maintain a smooth flow near the surface.

5. What are the applications of studying fluid separation in boundary layer?

The study of fluid separation in boundary layer has several practical applications. It is crucial in designing efficient aircraft and cars, as well as optimizing the performance of turbines and pumps. It also has applications in the field of marine engineering and can help improve the efficiency of ships and submarines.