1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Dynamics: Pressure / Opening a hatch underwater

1. Apr 29, 2007 #1
    Let's say that you're deep under the surface of the water in a submarine type thing.

There is a hatch on the top.

Let's say that the absolute pressure on the top of the hatch was calculated to be 2 atm.

Inside the vessel, the pressure is only 1 atm.

Someone is inside the vessel and the force needed to open the hatch must be calculated.

Do you need to take into account the pressure inside the vessel?

P = F/A

Do you plug in 2 atm, or 1 atm?

My physics teacher said that you only look at the pressure on the outside, but he does not remember why.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Then why is he teaching physics? :confused:
    I know pretty much nothing about anything, but I do know that the force required to open the hatch is based upon the ratio of interior/exterior pressure.

4. Apr 30, 2007 #3
    Not the ratio. The difference: F= (Po-Pi)S

5. Apr 30, 2007 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Good catch. I have to start being more accurate in my terminology. After a few beers I get sloppy.

6. Mar 29, 2008 #5
    Wouldn't you take the difference in pressure? You have 2 atm pushing in and 1 atm pushing out, requiring you to push through 1 atm to open the hatch, right?

7. Mar 29, 2008 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Realize that you are responding to a thread that's been dormant for almost a year. In any case, the point about needing the difference in pressure was made by lpfr in post #3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook