Pressure Gradient for Nitrous Flow

In summary, this student is looking for help to do a calculation to determine the pressure needed in a vessel leading to another pressurized combustion chamber in order to achieve a desired mass flow rate. They are having difficulty finding information on fluid flow from one pressurized vessel to another and are open to suggestions. They have a Mentor and Safety Officer for the project. They will be checking the calculations and responses from the PF.
Kevin
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on an undergraduate club team for the Intercollegiate Rocket Engineering Competition. I am attempting to do a calculation to determine the pressure needed in a vessel leading to another pressurized combustion chamber to achieve a desired mass flow rate.

These are my requirements:

Mass flow rate of Nitrous Oxide: 2 [lbs/sec]
Down stream pressure: 800 [psi]
Tank pressure: ?
Temperature: 308.15 [K]
Tubing Length: 1.3 meters
Tubing Type: Steel Woven PTFE, 3/8" Diameter (but this can change)

Unfortunately my courses have not given my adequate knowledge of fluid flow from one pressurized vessel to another to determine the pressure required. Also if there are any other changes that may thought to be helpful I am very open to suggestions

Thanks for you help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you already learned Navier stokes? It’s the key to equation this problem if you know how the friction is. Besides, if you consider the friction to be fully developed, steady and incompressible, the pressure loss can be obtained from de Darcy friction equation:
Pressure loss = ##\lambda (l/d_h) \rho v^2/2 ##

Kevin said:
Hello everyone,

I am currently working on an undergraduate club team for the Intercollegiate Rocket Engineering Competition. I am attempting to do a calculation to determine the pressure needed in a vessel leading to another pressurized combustion chamber to achieve a desired mass flow rate.

These are my requirements:

Mass flow rate of Nitrous Oxide: 2 [lbs/sec]
Down stream pressure: 800 [psi]
Tank pressure: ?
Temperature: 308.15 [K]
Tubing Length: 1.3 meters
Tubing Type: Steel Woven PTFE, 3/8" Diameter (but this can change)

Unfortunately my courses have not given my adequate knowledge of fluid flow from one pressurized vessel to another to determine the pressure required. Also if there are any other changes that may thought to be helpful I am very open to suggestions

Thanks for you help!
Sounds like a fun project.

Do you have a Mentor and Safety Officer for this rocket project? Will they be checking your calculations and the responses from the PF? :smile:

1. What is pressure gradient for nitrous flow?

Pressure gradient for nitrous flow refers to the change in pressure over a given distance in a system where nitrous is flowing. It is typically measured in units of pressure per unit length, such as psi per inch or bar per meter.

2. How does pressure gradient affect nitrous flow?

The pressure gradient directly affects the rate of nitrous flow. A larger pressure gradient will result in a higher rate of flow, while a smaller pressure gradient will result in a lower rate of flow.

3. What factors can affect the pressure gradient for nitrous flow?

Some factors that can affect the pressure gradient for nitrous flow include the size and shape of the container or system where the nitrous is flowing, the temperature and pressure of the nitrous, and any obstacles or restrictions in the flow path.

4. How is pressure gradient for nitrous flow measured?

The pressure gradient for nitrous flow is typically measured using pressure gauges placed at different points along the flow path. The difference in pressure readings between these points can then be used to calculate the pressure gradient.

5. Why is understanding pressure gradient for nitrous flow important?

Understanding pressure gradient for nitrous flow is important in order to accurately control and predict the rate of nitrous flow in a system. This can be crucial in various applications, such as in scientific experiments or in industrial processes.