Fluid flow around a wind turbine blade -- help please

In summary: Apparently, my teacher has just told me I have to use the typical fluid velocity, that I have no idea what it is
t0mm02
Homework Statement
Estimate what the Reynolds number is of the fluid flowing around the table
Relevant Equations
Reynolds number
I have to estimate the Reynolds number of the fluid flowing around a blade but I only have one detail: the length of the blade is 0.66m.
I have no idea how to do it and I got to submit the assignment in a week, I am desperate for help here.
lenght of the blade.png

Physics news on Phys.org
It says estimate. Have you seen the blades turning?

It might help if you started out by providing for us some indication of your understanding of the definition of the Reynolds number.

Gordianus said:
It says estimate. Have you seen the blades turning?

I haven't. That is all the information I got which I find strange

Chestermiller said:
It might help if you started out by providing for us some indication of your understanding of the definition of the Reynolds number.
The Reynolds numbers is a parameter that helps obtain a flow pattern estimation in various fluid flow situations
The Reynolds number is mathematically defined as:
yjjj.png

where:
  • is the fluid density (kg/m3)
  • is the flow velocity
  • is a linear dimension
  • is dynamic viscosity (Pa.s)
  • v is kinematic viscosity (m2/s)

Hdez said:
The Reynolds numbers is a parameter that helps obtain a flow pattern estimation in various fluid flow situations
The Reynolds number is mathematically defined as:
View attachment 274953
where:
  • is the fluid density (kg/m3)
  • is the flow velocity
  • is a linear dimension
  • is dynamic viscosity (Pa.s)
  • v is kinematic viscosity (m2/s)
Good. I assume you are dealing with air at approximately room temperature conditions. So you know the density and viscosity, right? You also have a characteristic length. Ok so far?

Chestermiller said:
Good. I assume you are dealing with air at approximately room temperature conditions. So you know the density and viscosity, right? You also have a characteristic length. Ok so far?

The wind turbine is supposed to be an offshore wind turbine so I am guessing the density of the air= 1,225 kg/m^3 and viscosity of air= 1,789x10^-5 (this is only what I am guessing though, doesn't mean it is right. The only known detail I know as it is visible on the imagen I posted on my post is the wind turbine geometric but I also believe that 660,60mm is too little measurement for a wind turbine blade.

Chestermiller said:
I also got the Area of the blade if it helps.

Hdez said:
The wind turbine is supposed to be an offshore wind turbine so I am guessing the density of the air= 1,225 kg/m^3 and viscosity of air= 1,789x10^-5 (this is only what I am guessing though, doesn't mean it is right. The only known detail I know as it is visible on the imagen I posted on my post is the wind turbine geometric but I also believe that 660,60mm is too little measurement for a wind turbine blade.
I’m not so sure that 0.66 m is short for a turbine blade. Why don’t you make a graph of Re vs velocity?

Chestermiller said:
I’m not so sure that 0.66 m is short for a turbine blade. Why don’t you make a graph of Re vs velocity?
I don't understand you. When it says "Estimate what the Reynolds number is of the fluid flowing around the blade" I am guessing I have to calculate it using a formula.

Hdez said:
I don't understand you. When it says "Estimate what the Reynolds number is of the fluid flowing around the blade" I am guessing I have to calculate it using a formula.
You have the formula. Just substitute a selection of values for the velocity and plot a graph.

Chestermiller said:
You have the formula. Just substitute a selection of values for the velocity and plot a graph.
Apparently, my teacher has just told me I have to use the typical fluid velocity, that I have no idea what it is

Hdez said:
Apparently, my teacher has just told me I have to use the typical fluid velocity, that I have no idea what it is
What does your gut tell you about the probable range of velocity values?

Chestermiller said:
What does your gut tell you about the probable range of velocity values?
My gut? I don't understand the problem and neither I understand what my teacher has said, so I don't think my gut is able to tell me anything.

Hdez said:
The wind turbine is supposed to be an offshore wind turbine
Hdez said:
Hdez said:
I don't understand the problem and neither I understand what my teacher has said, so I don't think my gut is able to tell me anything.
What are typical wind speeds for offshore wind installations (Google should be able to find it)? What would a typical speed be for a wind turbine of this size in those wind conditions? Google should be able to help you find ballpark numbers for that as well...

What is the speed of typical winds on a moderately windy day? What about in a moderate tropical storm?

I'm thinking wind speeds of 3-30 m/s, with a typical moderate value being on the order of 10 m/s. Anyway, that's my gut feeling.

1. What is fluid flow around a wind turbine blade?

Fluid flow around a wind turbine blade refers to the movement of air around the blade as it rotates. This flow of air is crucial for the generation of electricity in wind turbines.

2. What factors affect fluid flow around a wind turbine blade?

Factors that can affect fluid flow around a wind turbine blade include the shape and size of the blade, wind speed and direction, air density, and turbulence in the surrounding environment.

3. How does fluid flow impact the efficiency of a wind turbine?

The efficiency of a wind turbine is directly affected by the fluid flow around its blades. A smooth and consistent flow of air can help the turbine produce more electricity, while turbulent or uneven flow can decrease its efficiency.

4. How is fluid flow around a wind turbine blade studied and analyzed?

Scientists use computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations and wind tunnel experiments to study and analyze fluid flow around wind turbine blades. These methods allow for a detailed understanding of the flow patterns and their effects on the turbine's performance.

5. What are some current research developments in the study of fluid flow around wind turbine blades?

Some current research developments in this field include the use of advanced CFD techniques, such as large eddy simulations, to better understand the complex flow patterns around wind turbine blades. Additionally, researchers are exploring ways to optimize blade design for improved fluid flow and efficiency.