1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid flow between parallel plates

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The velocity distribution for laminar flow between parallel plates is given by
    u/umax = 1-(2y/h)2
    where h is the distance separating the plates and the origin is placed midway between the plates.
    Consider flow of water at 15 0C with maximum speed of umax=0.05 m/s and h=5 mm. Calculate the
    force on a 0.3 m2 section of the lower plate and give its direction.

2. Relevant equations

Given in the problem and perhaps P = F/A

3. The attempt at a solution

Well I know that the maximum velocity will occur at the origin i.e y=0 and that the velocity at the plates is zero. So the maximal force would occur also at the origin - Would I have to get the y-component of the velocity?

I am guessing that the temperature is given so that we can get density (0.999) and viscosity (1.78 cp) from tables - or this may just be a red herring

Now the thing I am having problems with is linking the velocity with an equation to get pressure so that I can calculate the force.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?