Fluid mechanics conservation of momentum problem

In summary: If the pipe is turned so the outlet is on the left and the inlet is on the right, then the force on the left flange is larger because the area of the pipe is larger on that side.
ehilge

Homework Statement

The problem involves fluid flow through a 180 degree bend in a pipe. I am trying to find out the force applied on the flanges connecting the bend to straight pieces of pipe. I am given information on the diameter of the pipe, the length of the pipe, weight flow rate, and pressure at both the inlet and outlet of the 'U'

Homework Equations

The Reynolds transport theorem using linear momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help figuring out how to approach the problem. A control volume can be defined surrounding the 'U' and cutting through the pipe at the flanges. Since there is only one inlet, one outlet, and no change in volume, the mass flow rate in must be the same as out. The area of the pipe is the same on each side, so it follows that the velocity of the fluid must be the same on each side. But continuing with this logic, the force on each flange would be the same in equal and opposite directions using the Reynolds transport theorem. And I don't see how that can be plausible considering the type of information in the problem statement and it appears that some energy is lost in the pipe. So my question is, where is the flaw in my logic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the linear momentum equation to find the flange reaction force. Looks like everything is in the x-direction. Is P_inlet=P_outlet? Velocities and unit vectors are in the same so angle between them is 0.

RTW69 said:
Use the linear momentum equation to find the flange reaction force. Looks like everything is in the x-direction. Is P_inlet=P_outlet? Velocities and unit vectors are in the same so angle between them is 0.

I'm sorry, I failed to specify that, Pin > Pout which I guess is really the kicker here because that would imply energy is lost in the pipe somewhere, but I'm not sure how to work that in.

if anyone is curious, I got the problem resolved today. The mass flow rate and velocity are indeed the same, and gravity accounts for the difference in pressure. I didn't realize what the orientation of the pipe was.

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few key things to consider in this problem. First, the conservation of momentum principle states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In this case, the external force is the pressure difference between the inlet and outlet of the pipe.

To solve for the force applied on the flanges, you will need to use the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid at different points in a pipe. This will allow you to calculate the pressure difference between the inlet and outlet, which will then be used to calculate the force on the flanges.

Additionally, it is important to consider the shape of the pipe bend. A 180 degree bend will introduce some turbulence and friction in the flow, causing some energy to be lost. This is known as head loss and can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation.

Overall, your approach using a control volume and the continuity equation is correct, but you will need to incorporate the Bernoulli's equation and account for head loss to solve for the force on the flanges. I would recommend reviewing these equations and their applications in fluid mechanics to fully understand the problem and its solution.

1. What is the conservation of momentum principle in fluid mechanics?

The conservation of momentum principle states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In fluid mechanics, this means that the total momentum of a fluid remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on it.

2. How is the conservation of momentum applied in fluid mechanics problems?

In fluid mechanics problems, the conservation of momentum is typically applied by using the Navier-Stokes equations. These equations describe the motion of a fluid and can be used to solve for the velocity, pressure, and other properties of the fluid at different points in space and time.

3. Can the conservation of momentum be violated in fluid mechanics?

No, the conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and cannot be violated. However, in some situations, it may appear that momentum is not conserved due to external forces or other factors that are not accounted for in the calculations.

4. What are some real-world applications of the conservation of momentum in fluid mechanics?

The conservation of momentum is applicable in many real-world scenarios, such as in the design of aircraft wings, propellers, and turbines. It is also important in understanding the movement of fluids in pipes, pumps, and other hydraulic systems.

5. How can the conservation of momentum be used to solve complex fluid mechanics problems?

The conservation of momentum can be used to simplify and solve complex fluid mechanics problems by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This allows for the application of the conservation of momentum principle at different points in the system, leading to a more comprehensive understanding of the fluid's behavior.