1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics -- Volume flow rate

1. Jun 15, 2017 #1
    Hey guys. I could use some explanation since I am new to FM: So my problem is the following one: Fluid flows with an average velocity 8 m/s in a pipe with diameter 3m. What is the volume flow rate?
    Now, I think the formula I got to use is Q= v.A Yet, I found my solution from a formula I found on the net where (1/4π * pipe diameter^2 * V). I got my result I need 18π but I just can't understand where I got this formula from and what does it mean! Would be grateful for any assist

2. Relevant equations

1/4π * 9 * 8 = 72/4.π or 18π

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2017 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try putting the π above the divider line instead of underneath .

What is the formula for area of a pipe of given bore diameter ?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  4. Jun 15, 2017 #3
    Q=v*A where v is fluid velocity and A is cross-sectional area.

Restating your formula, Q=v*(D2π/4) where D is diameter. An equivalent formulation is Q=v*(r2π) where r is the pipe radius. The way I think of it is,
    • "How much volume fits into a pipe one meter long?" 1 meter of length times the cross-sectional area (r2π) is, in this case, 7.068 m3.
    • "How many of these volumes pass through the pipe per unit time? In this case, it is 8 linear meters per second multiplied by the volume contained within a meter of that diameter pipe.
    << Solution deleted by Mentor >>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted