1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid Mechanics -Momentum Equation

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    Fluid Mechanics --Momentum Equation

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A large weigh tank is to be used in the calibration of a flow metre. Measurements of weights as a function of time are to be made. Water enters the tank vertically from the flow metering system at a speed of 20 ft/s through a 1.5 in. diameter pipe. If the weight of the empty tank is 50 lbf, determine the scale reading at t=10 s.

I found the reading to be 74.8 lbf but the answer is 212.67 lbf.

Any help is appreciated.

The link to my working.

https://skydrive.live.com/?sc=photos&cid=6b041751c72e14ad#cid=6B041751C72E14AD&id=6B041751C72E14AD%21173

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2
    Re: Fluid Mechanics --Momentum Equation

I am unable to decipher your link. Without considering the change in momentum of the water, I get about 203 pounds. If the pipe discharges vertically downward, you'll have to consider momentum change of the water adding to the weight of the vessel.

4. Sep 23, 2012 #3
    Re: Fluid Mechanics --Momentum Equation

Thanks for the reply.
    I have already solved the question. Turned out there's a mistake when I calculated
    the weight of water after 10 seconds and I did not include the gc factor. And yes,
    momentum of the falling water is already included in the momentum equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook